Permanent Retainer is a PAIN! :(

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tennesseeditto

Re: Permanent Retainer is a PAIN! :(

#46 Post by tennesseeditto »

Brace'd wrote:Hi Everyone :D
So, I'm finally rid of my Inman Aligner since yesterday and my teeth are looking pretty good. My ortho fitted me with a bonded retainer on the top and told me how to clean it and stuff but not much else. He said there were no foods to avoid, even toffee pennies and such. But, it just seems so damn flimsy! I worry that the stuff holding it on won't hold it if I bite into foods or something. Can anyone give me any advice?

All the bonds also feel really weird and oddly shaped and some feel thicker than others. How can you tell if ones popped off or whether it's on right and stuff?

Other than that I'm happy. I had hawleys the first time around and...well...I woulnd't be here if I'd worn them lol :oops:

It has been a month since you got your permanent retainer, Braced, so my questions are as follows:

1. Have you gotten used to them?
2. How difficult is it to use the floss threader?
3. Has it come off yet?

Thanks for your response.

Brace'd

#47 Post by Brace'd »

Hi tennesseeditto,

In answer to your questions:

Yes, I am used to it HOWEVER, I am still a it paranoid when I have to bit into food. Particularly foods where you have to rip into it with your teeth like a pizza slice or a sandwich and, for now, apples are a no no for me. But I am a worrier.

I don't use a floss threader, I use the Tepe interdental brushes and, so far, thats been fine. They can be a bit annoying to get into the gaps as they're quite bendy, but it managable.

No lol, it hasn't come off yet. A bit of composite came off of one but the wire was srill attached, it just felt sharp. But I went back and he fixed it :D

tennesseeditto

#48 Post by tennesseeditto »

Brace'd wrote:Hi tennesseeditto,

In answer to your questions:

Yes, I am used to it HOWEVER, I am still a it paranoid when I have to bit into food. Particularly foods where you have to rip into it with your teeth like a pizza slice or a sandwich and, for now, apples are a no no for me. But I am a worrier.

I don't use a floss threader, I use the Tepe interdental brushes and, so far, thats been fine. They can be a bit annoying to get into the gaps as they're quite bendy, but it managable.

No lol, it hasn't come off yet. A bit of composite came off of one but the wire was srill attached, it just felt sharp. But I went back and he fixed it :D
Hi, Braced. Thanks for the quick response. I'll add the Tepe interdental brushes
To my "look into this" list. I do believe permanent retainers behind the teeth are the best way for me to keep my teeth straight.

Got any pictures to share with us?

Brace'd

#49 Post by Brace'd »

No pictures as yet. But I might take some soon and get those up. I'm pretty happy with things as they are.

Just one thing though. I HATE my permanent retainer. I thought my old Hawleys were bad in round one but this thing, ugh, I hate it. I'm
not trying to put anyone off, it might work great for you, but I'm an obsessive worrier and after my first experience I really don't want to spend any more time in braces or anymore money really. I keep worrying it's broken, I think a little bit has come off behind one of my front teeth but when I check it doesn't look any different. Just feels weird. This has been since I bit into a cream cake (?! Not even hard) so do you think it could have come off? Also, I read in alot of places that they're not supposed to be used on the uppers. Is this true? Have any of you guys heard that?

Also, my bottom tooth occasionally clips my upper teeth when I talk, particularly the tooth I suspect the composite has come off. Has anyone else had any experience of a bonded retainer coming off? If so, what does it look like/feel like? I feel bad troubling my ortho if it hasn't come off. :oops:

tennesseeditto

#50 Post by tennesseeditto »

Hey! Check out the cool looking permanent retainers I found on the following page: www.dentistryonking.com/page7.html

One can floss with these!

I go back to my dentist Monday for my six week evaluation and an going to show this page to him. Let's just tell our dentists what we want; mine has given me "almost" straight teeth in 6 short weeks and I know he's almost as concerned as I am for them to stay straight after the process is complete in two more weeks.

Hurray for us, regardless of what method we chose to have straight!

dezlorelle

#51 Post by dezlorelle »

I was just debraced last week and got a fixed retainer on the bottom and clear essix on the top and yes over the bottom too. My cosmetic dentist was very pleased I went with the fixed retainer and flossing is a pain but I love the fact those once super crowded lower 6 teeth have a very low chance of moving. And my essix fits over the fixed. I absolutely recommend sticking with the fixed.

BracedUK

#52 Post by BracedUK »

Have had my Bottom bonded retainer since July 2013, so 2 years 8 months.

A very positive review as it works fine and I hardly notice. Also I know had I not had a bonded retainer my teeth would have moved whereas they are still in very good shape.

I am going to see my ortho again though since in the last year I think it has become damaged as all of a sudden I noticed a flosser was going all the way down, I thought I was imagining it as it still looked perfectly fine.

I had backup removable Essex which my Ortho had told me to wear twice a week at least.
Lower Ceramic Brace
On Sat 9th Jan 2010
Off Sat 20th July 2013
3 and a half years
Longer than normal due to Ortho mistake and later me insisting on final tweaks

gingenie

#53 Post by gingenie »

I am getting towards the end of my treatment now (almost at 2 years) and remember committing to permanent retainers right at the start when calculating my payment plan. Now I've done some research I'm worried about flossing and about not noticing if the bonded retainer breaks. Also, I am in the military and move around every couple of years, so I'm not going to be near the orthodontist I've used.

Is it easy to notice if there are problems with a bonded retainer?

Can you get removable retainers to wear over the top at night (or whenever)? In what circumstances is it advised?

Can normal dentists/hygienists work around or fix the bonded retainers?

oldfart

#54 Post by oldfart »

It would be pretty easy to notice. Mine is attached to canines, so can floss around the other teeth.

Yes, you can wear both. I have a Hawley and a Permanent on the bottom. Just because I am paranoid.

Its just a thin wire, they can work around it.

You don't have to be around the same ortho. Pretty much any ortho could make you a retainer, or fix your permanent.

Good Luck
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

CCinBraces

#55 Post by CCinBraces »

Can you use Orthopiks for flossing? Those are the little flossers but for braces...I would think they would slide in and out of a permanent retainer. Might make it a lot easier.

blackwidow

#56 Post by blackwidow »

I hate the thought of having to wear permanent retainers again after I get my braces off. I had them from age 16 to 25 on my lower front teeth and they only gave me trouble. I couldn't floss properly, so I ended up with gingivitis on my lower gum. Then I didn't notice that I accidentally broke a piece of the cement, so one of my teeth moved forward and I had to fix it wih invisalign for 3 months. After that I got a removable one and they've been aligned ever since. I never had a problem with the top teeth where I also had removable retainers.
Now I have to get braces on again for an overjet that was never fixed the first time around and I'm planning on staying away from permanent retainers when I'm done. But this is just my experience, I guess it's just not the best option for me.

mysticgirl916

#57 Post by mysticgirl916 »

I've had my permanent retainer for a year now and it took some getting used to in the beginning. It's still a bit hard to floss between the teeth where the retainer is though

Branwillaws

#58 Post by Branwillaws »

I'm curious as to why I haven't seen anyone suggest a waterpik? I hate flossing and especially with braces I don't floss at all and I know most don't either lol but invest a little into a waterpik it's my saving grace.

lmk

#59 Post by lmk »

I have a question about the bonded retainer for everyone. Did you have impressions done so the retainer could be made? Reason I ask, my ortho didn't take impressions and when I asked why not, she said the retainer is made "in house" and will be done the day I get my braces off. (Which is next month, yay) But after talking to a few people, they all had impressions prior and retainer was ready for bonding.

NeilH

#60 Post by NeilH »

lmk wrote:I have a question about the bonded retainer for everyone. Did you have impressions done so the retainer could be made? Reason I ask, my ortho didn't take impressions and when I asked why not, she said the retainer is made "in house" and will be done the day I get my braces off. (Which is next month, yay) But after talking to a few people, they all had impressions prior and retainer was ready for bonding.
I believe it can be done both ways. The wire bending and positioning can be done by your ortho but it takes time which is probably why some ortho's pass the work to a lab to save chair time.