permanent retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tanie

permanent retainers

#1 Post by tanie »

Hi all,
I already have my essix retainers(aren't they soo great??). I am getting my permanent retainers on top soon. Are permanent retainers substitute for essix retainers? If I have permanent retainers on, does that mean I won't have to wear my essix retainers? Please share your experience. Thanks.

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Hi tanie :) I'm not sure what your ortho prescribes, but at my ortho's office, he prescribes either hawleys or permanent retainers...so I imagine that just a bonded retainer would be strong enough to 'retain', and then maybe wear the essixs as well at night? Just a suggestion. Good luck!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

tanie

#3 Post by tanie »

Thanks Jhony. I went to the ortho today. She told me bonded retainer is good enuff. I am just told to wear essix at night(as you suggested).

kelly12300

#4 Post by kelly12300 »

I have an essix retainer and am getting a bonded retainer tomorrow. On my essix retainer, the bit that's under my tongue sort of has a bump that's not in contact with my teeth. So I'm thinking this is where the bonded retainer is going to go. I got my essix retainer 2 weeks ago and have had to wear it all the time except for when I eat and brush my teeth. But when I get my bonded retainer tomorrow, I'll only need to wear my essix retainer at nights.

But it could be different for you so ask you orthodontist about it to be sure!
~*~Kelly~*~