Teeth Shift after month w/o retainer wear

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

savemymouth

Teeth Shift after month w/o retainer wear

#1 Post by savemymouth »

I had braces for nearly 3 years and got them removed 2 months ago, I received a plastic invisalign looking retainer for the top and a permanent one for the bottom. The first month after getting them off i wore my retainer pretty often not 24/7 but close to it. This past month I've been slacking and worn my retainer maybe twice, both times being extremely painful. I didn't notice much shifting but today I popped it back in at first it didnt really fit but after pushing it in most of it fit except my upper right molar, it has completely shifted up towards the back of my mouth where the retainer cant really reach- its been a couple hours with it on and it still hasn't moved, i fear that if i bite down a little to encourage it to move i might break the retainer because of its flimsy nature. What do I do? Have any of you guys encountered this? any thoughts?

assertives

Re: Teeth Shift after month w/o retainer wear

#2 Post by assertives »

I wouldn't try forcing the retainer in. Not so much because it may break, but more so because it may hurt your tooth. The last thing you want is to accidentally chip a tooth. Please go back to your ortho and see what your ortho says.

Nozzelnut

#3 Post by Nozzelnut »

If you want your teeth to stay where they were; retainers are for the rest of your life.

Your orthodontist should be able to help; either modifying your existing retainer or maybe a couple months of invisalign style treatment.

Pro tip; wear you retainers!
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

BlondeCam

#4 Post by BlondeCam »

My Rx is to just wear at night, so keep that in mind while reading this. My ortho said that if I forget or miss a night to wear the Essix for like 24 hours, it will basically reset your teeth to he day the molds were taken. All that being said, I'm not sure about your one tooth. I'd wear it as best as you can and get to the ortho ASAP! I was a relapse re-treat patient this time around. From not wearing my retainers as a teenager. Get in as soon as you can! The shifting will only get worse. Best of luck