rough permanent retainer and sore tongue

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snugglepuss

rough permanent retainer and sore tongue

#1 Post by snugglepuss »

hi everyone!
so i had permanent retainers on my lower front teeth yesterday and everything was fine at first, but then when i got home and after i ate, i noticed that the smooth texture was gone and instead became rough and so dry and every time my tongue touches it , it just gets irritated more and more, the ortho didn t put just nubs of glue to bond the wire, but covered the complete wire in some clear material, the texture feels like the rough medical cement that they put at the back of your front teeth , except clear. and i am so frustrated cause i don t know if i ve done something wrong by eating warm food or something that turned the smooth texture so rough and dry. i m not even sure if it s the food to blame to be honest.
did anyone experience the same thing ? is my tongue just too irritated and it ll be better later on ? cause if the same thing happens at the upper perm. retainers when i get them , i don t think i will be able to stand it.....
Thank you so much in advance.

snugglepuss

Re: rough permanent retainer and sore tongue

#2 Post by snugglepuss »

update !
so eating and drinking definitely helped, i told him at my last appointment if it was normal for it to feel so rough he said that it s nothing a little polishing won t fix, and he was right, strangely enough polishing is never something that s done without asking, which can be really frustrating.
thank you to all who read this post, i hope you all have a nice day :D

BlondeCam

Re: rough permanent retainer and sore tongue

#3 Post by BlondeCam »

Great to hear!