Getting braces twice to fix jaw alignment?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheWhatNow

Getting braces twice to fix jaw alignment?

#1 Post by TheWhatNow »

I've had braces before, and coming out of them, my teeth were straight, and my jaws were aligned properly. It's been several months after that (maybe a year?) and my teeth are still straight (I wear retainers).

However, I've noticed that my lower jaw is growing and so my teeth are nearing a position where my bottom teeth are meeting my top teeth. I've also noticed that I'm getting a slight cross bite as well. Would getting braces again be appropriate to fix this? Is it normal for my lower jaw to still be growing? Would getting braces again affect my lower jaw growth?

If I remember correctly, my orthodontist had mentioned before my treatment that a second procedure might be needed as it's common for jaws to still grow.

djspeece

Re: Getting braces twice to fix jaw alignment?

#2 Post by djspeece »

You may want to post this on the "Metal Mouth" forum for those about to, or in the midst of, braces.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying