Biting the back of your cheek with retainers?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drgnchsr36

Biting the back of your cheek with retainers?

#1 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I seem to have this issue while wearing the retainers of biting the back of my cheek at night. It's becoming a common occurrence and it's annoying me. Plus, I heard it could cause oral cancer if I continue doing it. I'm thinking of seeing my ortho again and asking about it. Maybe I should just wear a mouth guard? Would that help? I'm just not sure what to really do..

djspeece

Re: Biting the back of your cheek with retainers?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I don't think mouth cancer is likely, but I would recommend that you go back to your ortho -- you didn't mention what type of retainers you use, but perhaps they can be adjusted or modified, or the ortho may have some other tricks up his/her sleeve. Don't wait until you end up with some sort of infection -- and of course the more this happens, the more swollen the tissue becomes, and the more likely you are to chomp down on your cheek. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

drgnchsr36

Re: Biting the back of your cheek with retainers?

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Thanks! I did ...ended up getting a mouth guard. I’ll probably go back and forth between that and my hawley retainer