Upper bonded retainer problems

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CAlingual

Upper bonded retainer problems

#1 Post by CAlingual »

I had lingual upper braces removed earlier this year. Then a bonded retainer with a plastic retainer to wear at night.
The problem is that the bonded retainer keeps coming unbonded. It's very annoying because my front tooth moves to its previous position and one tooth that had been brought down is now going back up and rotating. The orthodontist removed the remains of the bonded retainer and gave me an invisilign type plastic retainer to move the teeth back. But as soon as I take it off, the front tooth moves back. Nothing has been done yet to bring the other tooth back down.

It's getting frustrating because until everything is resolved I can't have the bonded retainer. I was adamant that I wouldn't wear a plastic retainer during the day. It looks terrible and I can't speak properly. I am happy though to wear it every night for life.

Once it is resolved though I then have the worry about it coming unstuck again. I need to wear it for at least 2 years for the teeth to learn. Then just a plastic retainer at night will be sufficient. When comes off it always seems to be at the most inconvenient time and I can't get to the orthodontist straight away. I've tried to be careful, but it seems like I will have to live on a liquid diet for the next 2 years.
I don't understand why it can't stay stuck on. Is there anything I can do to make sure there's less chance of it coming off? I've still got bits of glue on my teeth from the original train track braces that I had over 20 years ago. How come that glue is more resilient? Grrr.

BlondeCam

Re: Upper bonded retainer problems

#2 Post by BlondeCam »

Ugh, that's frustrating. Currently I'm only wearing my Essix (the clear invislign type) at night only too and my ortho is fine with that. There's been an occasional night I've fallen asleep without then and I can also feel one of my front teeth wanting to move and rotate like the crowding from before. I think if you just keep wearing them as many hours a day as you can stand it you'll be ok. I also won't wear mine during the day. I got a set of Hawleys that I can handle during waking hours if I feel the need. Best of luck!