Are Hawleys really effective at all?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Felina Grimm

Are Hawleys really effective at all?

#1 Post by Felina Grimm »

Hey, guys. I had my braces off two weeks ago and was given Essix retainers as part of the contract. I've wanted Hawleys since the beginning and I did not want bonded retainers due to my poor mouth chemistry and the maintenance required. I thought that the free retainers I was getting were due to my specific case. But when I got my de-bond date, I was informed that every patient got Essix retainers because they felt that patients would be more compliant in wearing retainers, and that any retainer would work for me if I wanted to purchase another set of retainers. So, I purchased the Hawley set and will be receiving them tomorrow on my retainer check appointment. However, I have read too many negative comments towards Hawleys on this board, on Youtube, and on other Q&A braces web pages. And there are very few positives on Hawleys. In other words, what I got from all the reading I've done is that these retainers do very little to retain if at all, and many patients end up with braces again or just deal with their relapse without fixing it. The ortho did tell me that there is a chance that my teeth will move. That is unsettling. I feel like I made a mistake. I will speak with the ortho anyway tomorrow and see what happens. Is there anyone here that has had positive experiences with Hawleys? And if negative, how much relapse did you have? I don't want to throw all that money away for nothing by wearing something that will do little to nothing for me and want to keep as much retention as I can because I cannot afford another round of braces as I have too much gum recession. Advice appreciated. :-(
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

jem

Re: Are Hawleys really effective at all?

#2 Post by jem »

Hawleys have been used for years and do retain your teeth effectively. Some orthos prefer them, some prefer essix. Essix are quicker and cheaper to make but are less robust and will need replacing more often.

Essix have contact with a greater part of the surface area of your teeth so could be argued to be more effective. But they stop your teeth biting together so arguably do not let your bite settle as well as hawleys.

In terms of 24/7 wear, hawleys are more visible but you can drink whatever you want with them and can probably get away with eating most things if you are prepared to accept wear and tear on them. Essix are much less visible but you have to take them out to drink anything other than water. Because they encase your teeth, you need to clean your teeth after eating and drinking to ensure you are not keeping anything that might cause tooth decay next to your teeth. With hawleys, this is less of an issue because most of your tooth surface is exposed to your saliva.

I have both bonded and removable retainers, so I have only ever had to wear the removable at night ( albeit 12/7 for the first 6 months). So neither visibility nor eating/drinking have been an issue. I was given an essix and paid extra for a hawley which I prefer ( and have to wear indefinitely at night).

I hope this helps,

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Azul

#3 Post by Azul »

I was given a set of Essix retainers and had to pay for A set if Hawley retainers, which I prefer. I read several studies that compared the effectiveness of both retainers and there is not significant difference between them. I think that adults are given usually the Essix because they are more discreet and therefore this favours the patient compliance but I feel more comfortable with the Hawleys and they look and feel more robust, but they have to be adjusted periodically by the ortho. It might take some time to adjust to them at first but I prefer them over the Essix.

Felina Grimm

#4 Post by Felina Grimm »

I have no issues with visibility either. I might wear both because I might not be able to use the Essix as backup should the Hawleys fail due to movement. I'll see what the ortho recommends. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

Azul

#5 Post by Azul »

I asked for the Hawleys as a back up but I ended using them more than the Essix. If the wire is not an issue for you I think you will like them.

Felina Grimm

#6 Post by Felina Grimm »

I'm not worried about the looks. I'm worried that my teeth will not stay in place because I've seen so much negativity towards Hawleys and their "lack of retention."

Felina Grimm

#7 Post by Felina Grimm »

Compliance is not an issue either. I already had a routine with elastics for more than a year and it feels weird not wearing the retainers.

Azul

#8 Post by Azul »

Are you getting the standard Hawley or the wraparound? I got the wraparound.

Felina Grimm

#9 Post by Felina Grimm »

I got the standard because I did not have extractions. These Hawleys feel very different and I have some soreness. Maybe it's because my Essix retainers got a little more loose these two weeks. The ortho explained that I won't have any major movement as long as I'm compliant. I still haven't decided whether to wear the Hawleys full time or not. Speech is the only issue.

Azul

#10 Post by Azul »

Felina Grimm wrote:I got the standard because I did not have extractions. These Hawleys feel very different and I have some soreness. Maybe it's because my Essix retainers got a little more loose these two weeks. The ortho explained that I won't have any major movement as long as I'm compliant. I still haven't decided whether to wear the Hawleys full time or not. Speech is the only issue.
Speech will improve with time, you can practice reading aloud. The more you wear them, the more comfortable you will be. I decided to wear them full time instead of the Essix and was happy with my decision. I wear them longer than my ortho told me, I keep them on always while I'm at home, I feel weird without them!

Felina Grimm

#11 Post by Felina Grimm »

They feel tighter, especially the bottom one. My bottom teeth are even more sore. I'm not sure if this is normal. When wearing the Essix, the bottom one wasn't as snug as the top and it got a little less snug in the two weeks wearing them. Could that be why?

Azul

#12 Post by Azul »

My retainers feel tight but not too much, I feel quite comfortable with them. If yours feel too tight I would tell your ortho.

Felina Grimm

#13 Post by Felina Grimm »

They're fine. I wore the Hawleys to bed and I was able to put on my Essix retainers back on in the morning. I might be using both for now. This way I will have a backup especially while in full-time wear.