Teeth feel really dirty when I take retainer off

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JJWW99

Teeth feel really dirty when I take retainer off

#1 Post by JJWW99 »

So I got my braces off just over a week ago and got my retainer 2 days ago. At first I thought I'd hate the retainer as I have to wear it all the time for 3 months but I've realised it's not really a problem as you can't tell I'm even wearing it. However, I've noticed that when I take them out to eat or brush my teeth, my teeth feel really dirty and as though they have plaque all over them (they don't) and when I brush my teeth, which I do every time I take the retainers out, just with water sometimes, or with toothpaste twice a day, my teeth still feel gritty. In the period between getting my braces took off and my retainer put in my teeth felt nice and smooth and overall, fine. I'm just worried that plaque will start taking over my teeth as honestly they feel disgusting. I'm doing everything my orthodontist told me to do re cleaning them properly but I'm wondering if theyll always feel like this or if they're even meant to.

djspeece

Re: Teeth feel really dirty when I take retainer off

#2 Post by djspeece »

I added a mouthwash to my routine post-braces, called Crest 3D While. It contains hydrogen peroxide which attacks any organic debris and seems to facilitate the clean feeling.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

turtle

Re: Teeth feel really dirty when I take retainer off

#3 Post by turtle »

JJWW99, I feel the same way as you do, and I've felt this way since I first started wearing an essix retainer 9 years ago, so no it doesn't get better. I stopped wearing my first one regularly a few months after my braces came off. My teeth relapsed a bit, but not too noticeable from an aesthetic viewpoint so later I had more retainers made. I still have a hard time wearing them regularly because they seem gross to me and I worry about the bacteria being held against my teeth. I do wear them about 3 nights a week though. Luckily for me, my teeth have stayed put pretty well. The retainers are still very tight when I wear them but not painful. Hid like to try Hawley's, but I don't think they'll protect my teeth the same way the essix do since I grind my teeth. Have you considered switching to a different type of retainer?