Retainer Waiting Period

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gracieexox

Retainer Waiting Period

#1 Post by gracieexox »

I got my braces off 2 days ago and I already see my teeth shifting. I won't be getting my retainers until 10 days from now. I'm really scared that my teeth will be bad again by the time I go back. Is there a possibility that they will be shifted badly? I'm really scared.

jem

Re: Retainer Waiting Period

#2 Post by jem »

That sounds a long time to wait. I had a fixed retainer placed immediately before my brace came off followed by impressions for both essix and hawley. I received the essix the following day, which I only used on a temporary basis, and the hawley after two weeks.

Will you be getting a hawley or essix? I would have thought an essix could be turned round more quickly than 12 days.

I can't imagine that your teeth will move so much that your retainers won't fit, but they might be a bit tight for a while. If you wear them 24/7 your teeth should quickly settle back into their finished position- and stay there with diligent retainer wear.

Good luck. Please post pics

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

FlyByNight

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

I'm surprised they would wait that long. I waited 2 hours for my Essix retainers. And in that time, I noticed a little bit of change. And the office was busy that day!

sneed1o1

#4 Post by sneed1o1 »

I will have to wait 8 days after my removal to get my removable Essix and Hawley retainers. I have the bottom fixed retainer already in place, but I'm a little concerned about the top, and your case just proved my point. I'm so desperate, I may have to find my old Essix retainer and use it until I get my new ones! :shock:

Jason245

#5 Post by Jason245 »

My braces came off on friday

Had perm retainer for bottom put in friday, as well as upper 1:1 perm put in .

Picked up my Essix upper and lower (Ortho told me that the lower isn't really needed) today. Upper felt a little snug when put on, lower fit like a glove.

I am picking up my Hawley upper in 3 weeks cause ortho is out for a week.

After a few hours of wear, not snug any more.. :)

BlondeCam

#6 Post by BlondeCam »

My Essix were ready in 20 minutes yesterday :) Picking up my Hawley at the end of next month at my first check post removal.

Snowglobe32

#7 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Your teeth will be fine for the 10 days.

The teeth will settle over time so don't expect them to stay exactly as they were as soon as the braces came off. They were being held with wires and other objects. As soon as those things are removed, they will loosen and come into their natural place.

The most important thing is to wear your retainer as much as possible! I don't care if the ortho tells you to wear full time for 2 weeks then switch to night time only. These are your teeth, your money spent to perfect them, your time and effort...wear them as long as you want to retain your teeth.

I wore my retainer full time (except for eating) for the first two years. I have now had my braces off for 4 years and am using my positioner. Everything still looks great.

sneed1o1

#8 Post by sneed1o1 »

As many have said here, I did in fact receive my clear retainer the same day. I just got my hawleys today (8 days post removal). I can tell my teeth shifted some, because of the tightness and soreness I have from the hawley retainers currently. It wasn't noticeable though! The only reason I was even to tell there was some shifting was because of the soreness.