Gaps after my braces were removed, and my retainer is doing anything to help.

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Xowle

Gaps after my braces were removed, and my retainer is doing anything to help.

#1 Post by Xowle »

I used to have a really bad overbite and gaps all over my teeth before my braces. My teeth moved pretty rapidly and they were nearly shut by the end of the year. The thing is, I had a muscle in between my two front teeth that was keeping my gap from shutting and my dentist told me he would cut the muscle off (frenectomy) before I would have my braced removed. Well, fast forward a few months later and my braces are removed, and that piece of muscle is still there. There is a gap between my two front teeth and one between my left central and left lateral. He binded my left central and left lateral later on. I had to remind him two weeks later that he still hadn't done my frenectomy. He cut the muscle off and I was finally able to clearly see the gap left behind. I had a mold done and was given a permanent clear retainer which he said would close my gap if I wore it 24/7 for three months. Here I am, with a gap still in my teeth. He said it was genetics and that my gap would never close, but I know very well it was because he had forgotten about my frenectomy. What do I do? I talked to him about this last week and he said it was 'genetics' and at least my teeth had 'come a long way'. Do I have to get braces again? Do I keep pestering my dentist?

Xowle

Re: Gaps after my braces were removed, and my retainer is doing anything to help.

#2 Post by Xowle »

My retainer *isn't doing anything to help.

sneed1o1

Re: Gaps after my braces were removed, and my retainer is doing anything to help.

#3 Post by sneed1o1 »

It's your money! You're the customer. I feel like if you want more done, even if it means another surgical approach, he can do it, or you can find someone else that will. It's your mouth!