Teeth settling and Essix retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

petebite

Teeth settling and Essix retainers

#1 Post by petebite »

Hi all,

I was debonded a week ago and enjoyed seven days of metal-free teeth. At first not all my molars touched but after a few days everything became MUCH more comfortable.

Today I started with Essix retainers and now my teeth can't close as easily with or without the retainers. Is this what people mean when they say that Essix retainers don't let the molars 'settle' as well?

My question is - after three months when I go to part-time wear will my molars settle more naturally? Won't the Essix just keep pulling them back to where they were at debonding? Thanks!

djspeece

Re: Teeth settling and Essix retainers

#2 Post by djspeece »

I am not certain, but I think I would put a call in to your orthodontist -- it's possible that the retainer is not fitting correctly. I am not familiar with the idea that the Essix won't allow molars to settle, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. I had an Essix for several months while I was awaiting my Vivera retainers, and did not have any issues with the Essix. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

FlyByNight

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

I've been wearing Essix since august and I'm still having issues with my molars touching. It's slowly getting better but it's still an issue.

petebite

#4 Post by petebite »

djspeece wrote:I am not certain, but I think I would put a call in to your orthodontist -- it's possible that the retainer is not fitting correctly. I am not familiar with the idea that the Essix won't allow molars to settle, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. I had an Essix for several months while I was awaiting my Vivera retainers, and did not have any issues with the Essix. Best of luck to you.
Thanks Dan, I might just call my orthodontist and see what they say. I think a hawley could suit me better. I've never heard of Vivera! Hope they work out for you

petebite

#5 Post by petebite »

FlyByNight wrote:I've been wearing Essix since august and I'm still having issues with my molars touching. It's slowly getting better but it's still an issue.
Does it get better during the day if you aren't wearing your retainers? What did your ortho say? I'm considering Hawley as they supposedly allow for a more natural occlusion.

FlyByNight

#6 Post by FlyByNight »

petebite wrote:
FlyByNight wrote:I've been wearing Essix since august and I'm still having issues with my molars touching. It's slowly getting better but it's still an issue.
Does it get better during the day if you aren't wearing your retainers? What did your ortho say? I'm considering Hawley as they supposedly allow for a more natural occlusion.
It definitely gets better during the day. I end up with an almost perfect bite before I go to sleep. In the morning, it starts all over again. However, in the past few weeks my teeth haven't completely changed back every time. My ortho told me my bite would get better with nighttime only wear. He is right so far.

petebite

#7 Post by petebite »

FlyByNight wrote:
petebite wrote:
It definitely gets better during the day. I end up with an almost perfect bite before I go to sleep. In the morning, it starts all over again. However, in the past few weeks my teeth haven't completely changed back every time. My ortho told me my bite would get better with nighttime only wear. He is right so far.
Glad to hear it is getting better. Hopefully I will be in your shoes in a few months.