Braces taken off after Double Jaw surgery Not happy

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

reading1995247

Braces taken off after Double Jaw surgery Not happy

#1 Post by reading1995247 »

Hi guys!
I've been a long time reader here! First topic here!

I had my braces taken off a few weeks ago.
I've had braces for 2+ years and had double jaw surgery under NHS in December.
And my underbite was solved!

A month after the surgery I noticed that my mouth was canted, but my ortho never mentioned it and my surgeon didn't too.
So I figured it will be sorted.
The one time I tried to tell my ortho about the tilt, she told me not to worry about it.

And soon enough she got me off of braces.
But now, its more obvious than ever.
Esp with the retainers.
And I look weird when I smile hard, so I just try to mask my smile.
I would post pics, but I can't do that yet.

I don't know what to do.
I'm not happy with my mouth at all.
My bite is good but its all tilted.
And I am afraid to say anything because the surgery was free under NHS, and I don't want to sound ungrateful!

Can anyone give me any advice on how I can go about bringing it up with her?

I'm so sad because now people are gonna wonder "if she got surgery why is her mouth still like that?"

djspeece

Re: Braces taken off after Double Jaw surgery Not happy

#2 Post by djspeece »

Of course realize that we are our own worst critics and can obsess over our teeth and details not noticeable to other people. However, that said, I'd recommend that you approach the conversation with an approach like this: "While I really appreciate the functional improvement in my bite, I am concerned that my smile now appears to be canted and I don't understand why, or what might be done to correct it." That sends the signal "Please don't minimize my concerns, and I expect an intelligent answer." Perhaps your ortho can show you before and after photos so you both can compare the starting point with the outcome. I do wish you the best of luck. You've been through a lot and deserve to have the outcome you expected.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying