Questions about Hawley retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RMcCartney

Questions about Hawley retainer

#1 Post by RMcCartney »

I've had essix retainers for top and bottom teeth for 13 years. I have faithfully worn them every night since I had my braces taken off at 15 years old. My upper retainer has held up and kept my teeth straight until sometime in the past few months. My teeth are suddenly starting to gap and "jut out." My original orthodontist retired soon after I was done with my braces and all of his records were accidentally destroyed by construction workers.
I have also moved away from that area. I went to an orthodontist last week to see about possibly trying out Invisalign to move those teeth back a little. That ended up not being a cost efficient option. He also told me I need a hawley retainer on my uppers instead of the essix again.
Here is my concern. I had very stubborn canine teeth that were in my upper gums and tooth 2 years to move down with braces, coils, and rubber bands. Will a hawley keep those down or will they begin to move up again? The essix has kept them in place for over 12 years. The only reason my front teeth have started to move is because I put off getting new retainers made for so long. I am reluctant to change retainer types and end up with worse teeth than I began with. But my retainer is getting more and more stretched out every day and I can feel my teeth beginning to shift back to their original, very jutted forward position.
Im not sure how to post pictures to a post or I would add pictures of my old teeth and my current situation.

RMcCartney

Re: Questions about Hawley retainer

#2 Post by RMcCartney »

Also, can the hawley be tightened enough to move teeth back to their original post braces alignment if it's a slight shift?

sandiego88

Re: Questions about Hawley retainer

#3 Post by sandiego88 »

Yes adjustments can be made to the Hawley retainer.

Have you considered a permanent retained (behind the top/bottom six) to keep everything in place?