Composite bonding vs veneer on front tooth

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

familyguy006

Composite bonding vs veneer on front tooth

#1 Post by familyguy006 »

Hi. I chipped my central incisor as a child when I fell off a bike, and at that time I got a bonding done which wore away after about 7 years. I looked at my options after I get my braces off tomorrow, and my dentist is suggesting I get a veneer, but it's like $1500 more than a composite bonding and will cover the entire front tooth. My chipped tooth isn't really noticeable unless really up close, so I wanted to just get another bond done even if it only last the same amount of time. My dentist says they won't do it for me because it will break in 6 months. Seems like hyperbole given how long my last bond lasted. I really don't like the idea of them drilling down my front tooth for a veneer when 95% of it is perfect just so just they can cosmetically correct the 5% that isn't. Should I just go to another dentist that will do the bonding?

lambchop

Re: Composite bonding vs veneer on front tooth

#2 Post by lambchop »

Maybe they don't make 'em like they used to, (and I'm knocking on wood here), but I had a very similar bond to yours done...front central incisor...when I was 10. I'm going to be 46 in a few weeks, and I've still got it. I'd be hesitant to do a veneer also; seems too drastic. Surely someone would be willing to do a simple bond for you. Good luck!

FlyByNight

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

I would definitely see another dentist. I wouldn't do veneers because they can even chip easily.

familyguy006

#4 Post by familyguy006 »

Thanks all. I set up an appointment to get a second opinion. If I get the bonding and it breaks quickly then I'll be out about $500. I'm willing to eat that cost and then get the veneer afterwards if I need to.