Vivera vs. Essix Retainers? Opinions?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

theawkwardone

Vivera vs. Essix Retainers? Opinions?

#1 Post by theawkwardone »

Hello all! I am fairly new to this forum, but have followed it for quite some time now! Alright, down to the basics. I was in braces for the second time around (dog chewed retainer) and recently got them off. I was give the standard Essix retainer from my ortho and it worked very well. Unfortunately, due to stress-induced clenching, I ended up cracking my retainers within the first month or so. I was told that Vivera retainers are much more durable and are actually more comfortable than the Essix retainers. Is this true? What has been your experiences with each retainer? I ended up agreeing to go with the Vivera retainers for right now, and they feel so comfortable that I can't even tell I'm wearing a retainer. For those who have worn these, have you had the same experiences? Let me know! I look forward to your opinions!

djspeece

Re: Vivera vs. Essix Retainers? Opinions?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I had an Essix as a temporary retainer while my Vivera retainers were being made. I love the Vivera -- they are indeed much more durable than the Essix, fit more snugly as well. In fact that is the only possible down-side in my opinion -- they can be a bit of a challenge to remove. When I got them my ortho helped me determine where to start when removing them -- as it turns out it was near the upper left and lower right molars. They do loosen up a tiny bit with use. I got 4 sets and occasionally swap out a newer version, and they are somewhat tighter. The trick to removal is to get a firm grasp -- which for me requires the using a latex glove (I actually rarely do this though) or a cotton t-shirt. In a pinch, when I had to wear them 24/7 and I was in public, I found that paper towels in the restroom worked well, or sometimes I'd just yank my t-shirt out and contort myself (in the restroom, of course. I'm sure it was quite a sight to passersby).
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying