Relapse after double jaw surgery

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dolly2202

Relapse after double jaw surgery

#1 Post by Dolly2202 »

Hi, I had double jaw surgery 18 months ago for an underbite. After my operation my jaw went back to how it was but my surgeon didn't re operate ( not sure why) but instructed my orthodontist to move the top teeth forward slightly so they are at an angle, this makes it look as though my teeth overlap.
He told me that it was muscular and I should concentrate when the bands are in to move my jaw and force it back with my muscles! Ridiculous! Like I can do this all the time and also when I'm asleep.
I've had my braces out now for about a year and I booked myself an urgent appointment with my new orthodontist as the lady I had before left. I have been worried recently as my top left teeth next to my incisors feel wobbly when I eat.
I went there yesterday and she looked very worried when looking in my mouth, she asked me to open and close numerous times and checked my wobbly teeth.
My orthodontist said I need an urgent referral for a combined clinic with her and my surgeon to discuss the fact my jaw has relapsed hence why my teeth are wobbly because they are hitting my bottom teeth while chewing. She told me that we need to discuss a possible second surgery due to the relapse. I have gone for an X-ray and am waiting to hear. I'm worried to eat properly and worried about a second surgery as it takes so long to recover and I did have some nerve damage to my lip and face. Also don't want to lose any teeth by ignoring this !! Has anyone else had this ?

bluelip

Re: Relapse after double jaw surgery

#2 Post by bluelip »

So sorry that you have to go through this. Hope you recover soon. Take care!

jemalf

Re: Relapse after double jaw surgery

#3 Post by jemalf »

In September 2009 I had advancement of both my maxilla and mandible. I'm pretty sure I'm relapsing to a noticeable degree now. However, wobbling of teeth isn't something with which I am familiar. That sounds concerning. I hope it is being addressed for you. I hope you can return with an update. It looks like you joined this board specifically because of your current issue (as I did). Best of luck to you!