lateral incisor shifts during the day!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fleuride

lateral incisor shifts during the day!

#1 Post by fleuride »

Hi, I have had my braces off since January 2015. I have worn my Essix retainer as instructed since then, and am now at the point where I am "allowed" to wear it every other night.

My issue is that one of my lateral incisors begins to shift sideways within a few hours of taking out my retainer in the morning (I wear it nearly every night because of this issue). This specific tooth was sideways before braces, and it seems to want to revert to its original position, but all of my other teeth don't experience that sort of movement.

I am beyond frustrated at how quick that tooth is to begin relapsing, and the only solution that I can see is getting a permanent retainer on my top row. The issue is that my orthodontist only does Essix retainers, and I'm not sure if I can go to a different orthodontist to get a permanent retainer (and if I can convince my parents to pay for it).

My orthodontist did recommend that I go back to 24/7 wear, but I'm wondering if it will help at all. Has anyone else had this issue, and were you able to remedy it? This is something that is so frustrating (+ it "triggers" my OCD)

jem

Re: lateral incisor shifts during the day!

#2 Post by jem »

Going back to 24/7 retainer wear for a protracted period ( ?6-12 months) might fix this. Alternatively, a fixed retainer may do the job, but for some people a fixed retainer in the upper arch is not possible because they have a close and reasonably deep bite between their incisors such that heir bottom incisors would clash with the retainer. If your ortho does not do fixed retainers, there is no reason why you should not consult a different ortho to see whether a fixed retainer might be possible in your case.

Good luck to you and kudos for being so meticulous about your retention.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

I only just got my braces off but I second the idea of a fixed retainer on your upper teeth. I have one and although it's a pain to floss with it, the peace of mind is worth it.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

jem

#4 Post by jem »

Thinking further about this, it really can't be good for the health of your incisor for it to keep moving backwards and forwards on a daily basis. I think it would be best for you to wear your retainer 24/7 as advised by your ortho until you have resolved the question of whether or not you can get a bonded retainer.

I had a difficult lateral incisor which took some time to move into place. I now have both a bonded retainer and a removable one to wear at night. That arrangement works well for me.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

fleuride

#5 Post by fleuride »

[quote="jem"]Thinking further about this, it really can't be good for the health of your incisor for it to keep moving backwards and forwards on a daily basis. I think it would be best for you to wear your retainer 24/7 as advised by your ortho until you have resolved the question of whether or not you can get a bonded retainer.

I had a difficult lateral incisor which took some time to move into place. I now have both a bonded retainer and a removable one to wear at night. That arrangement works well for me.

Jem[/quote]
Sighs, I've been putting off going back to 24/7 wear because it's so frustrating to deal with on a daily basis, but if it can fix the issue once and for all, I'll be willing to do it. How long did it take for you to fix the issue with your incisor (or did it take a bonded retainer)? I understand that everyone's mouth works differently, but anything more than a few months sounds horrific.

I am really wanting to go a different ortho to get a bonded retainer, but I imagine it'll cost another small fortune that my parents will have no desire to pay (understandably)..

jem

#6 Post by jem »

Hi Fleuride,

I have not had any problem with retention-it just took the braces a long time to move that lateral incisor. My ortho felt it stood a good chance of relapsing so gave me bonded and removable retainers when the brace came off. I wore the removable retainer 12/7 for the first 6 months then 8/7 thereafter.

I think they say that it takes about a year for newly moved teeth to become stable, so you could be looking at a year of full-time retainer wear to get your mobile lateral into a stable state. So in your shoes I would start wearing the removable retainer 24/7 immediately whilst finding an ortho who would be willing to give you a bonded retainer if your bite is suitable.

Hang in there -it is worth it.

Jem