Dropped retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hare

Dropped retainers

#1 Post by hare »

I accidentally dropped my plastic retainer case containing clear retainers (like the below) several feet onto a hard floor. Loud smack, the case lid opened but the retainers did not fall out. I'm wondering whether the pressure from the fall could have damaged the retainers? I put the retainers on my teeth afterwards and they fit snugly as usual, but I'm not sure whether that means they were not misshapen to any degree by the impact. When it comes to clear retainers hitting something, how much would it take to damage them? And are clear retainer breakages/deformities always immediately noticeable or can they go by unnoticed? I spent a lot of money and time on realigning my teeth so I want to make sure I'm not now misshaping them with disfigured retainers!

jem

Re: Dropped retainers

#2 Post by jem »

I can't imagine you will have done any damage by dropping them. And if you had, I'm sure you would be able to see the damage or feel the retainers not fitting properly.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

oldfart

Re: Dropped retainers

#3 Post by oldfart »

Those are so light I doubt they would break by falling. The biggest concern is to not just grab it by the molar sections. Now a Hawley I would not want to drop.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom