Bottom canine is hitting my top Hawley retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracesat57

Bottom canine is hitting my top Hawley retainer

#1 Post by Bracesat57 »

Just got my braces off this week and got my Hawley retainer yesterday. When they placed it on my teeth of course it felt funky. They needed to tighten it right away. I also got a fixed retainer on my bottom arch and got an Essex retainer for on top of that one. I have to wear the Hawley for 14 hours a day and the Essex retainer only at night.

To say the least I was overwhelmed. I felt my bottom canine hitting the Hawley on top but just thought I had to get use to it. Silly me. I should have said something right away. It feels ok when I have the Essex in also because then everything is covered.

Today, my bottom tooth is so sensitive. I called the orthodontist and his offices were closed today. Now I go on vacation for a week and hope that everything will be ok until I get back.

Has anyone else had this problem with their Hawley? Is it common or uncommon for this to happen? Should bottom teeth hurt when wearing the top Hawley retainer?

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

oldfart

Re: Bottom canine is hitting my top Hawley retainer

#2 Post by oldfart »

Your teeth will hurt when moving to retainers regardless of it hitting or not. Just be careful and bug them when you get back. Or wear your Essix also during the day to lessen the impact.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

art

Re: Bottom canine is hitting my top Hawley retainer

#3 Post by art »

My bottom canines were hitting both the palette plastic and the top labial bow on the standard Hawley as is crossed under by my upper canines. Very painful because at the point of contact it made my upper canines very sore. So my ortho made me a wraparound Hawley so the labial wire does not cross under at my upper canines but originates from the back molars. It is a lot more comfortable, but the thicker plastic gives me a lisp and the wire is thicker more noticeable on the wraparound. One bottom canine still bumps the plastic, but it doesn't hurt like biting on the wire.