Retainers falling out during sleep?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

platinumtlc

Retainers falling out during sleep?

#1 Post by platinumtlc »

What should I do? I move around a lot in my sleep and whatever, so my first night in the retainers I woke up without them on. Is there anything I can do?

platinumtlc

#2 Post by platinumtlc »

And I gag sometimes with my hawleys on, to the point where I feel like im going to puke something up, what should I do?

2hOtT2HaNdLe01

#3 Post by 2hOtT2HaNdLe01 »

how long have you had your retainers for? also..that happened 2 my brother, in his phase I treatment, he woke up with his retainer on his pillow next to him. eventually, within a week it stops, u kno u get used to it, or @ least thats what happened with him. maybe its some kinda like thing with the body, like where ur sleeping and theres something foreign in your mouth, kinda impulse to shove it out? idk..and as for the gagging and its another thing to get used to, my brother almost threw up trying to say a sentence less than 10 words! so, sorry i dont really know what to tell ya :? but good luck with it all, it will all get better!!!! :D
BRACED: March 16, 2005
DEBANDED: October 3, 2006

jenns91civic

#4 Post by jenns91civic »

How long have you had the retainers? I know that over time they can get loose and need to be adjusted. Mine still feel pretty tight (but I'm pretty lax about wearing them all the time because I forget..anyone have any hints on remembering to keep them in my mouth??)
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Allykat

#5 Post by Allykat »

I have the same prob. sometimes. No matter how hard I try... I can't ever seem to remember it coming out. Believe it or not, YOU are probably taking it out. Those suckers usually don't get THAT loose. Try to remember... I don't know if you'll be able to, but I think it's just because your really not used to it yet. It'll stop.

Good Luck
AK

raregem

#6 Post by raregem »

That happens to me too. I take my bottom retainer out in my sleep!! When I put it back in my teeth have already moved.

Puppy10518

Re: Retainers falling out during sleep?

#7 Post by Puppy10518 »

I have an invisaline retainer for my top teeth and the first 2 weeks I wore it, it hurt like hell :oops: and at night it would fall out and it would take 10 minutes to find it :ThumbsDown: . Since it hurts so much :soremouth: when I wear it, I dont wear it that often but sometimes I wear it because my friends tell me that if I dont wear it, I'll have to get braces again :yuck: but my teeth haven't even moved and I got my braces off a couple months ago.

SingleJawMelb

#8 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Puppy10518 wrote:I have an invisaline retainer for my top teeth and the first 2 weeks I wore it, it hurt like hell :oops: and at night it would fall out and it would take 10 minutes to find it :ThumbsDown: . Since it hurts so much :soremouth: when I wear it, I dont wear it that often but sometimes I wear it because my friends tell me that if I dont wear it, I'll have to get braces again :yuck: but my teeth haven't even moved and I got my braces off a couple months ago.
Your teeth didn't move quickly with permanent pressure so don't expect them to move quickly out of that position. But when you do, you are screwed mate

nteff

#9 Post by nteff »

Mine occasionally come out, but I think I unconsciously take them out, especially if I don't feel good. I just put them back ASAP and have not had a problem.