Sleeping with Essix Retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JillD

Sleeping with Essix Retainers

#1 Post by JillD »

I clench my mouth when I sleep. I often wake up to find my Essix retainers in my way. I am also concerned that I may damage the retainers by making a hole while I am clenching my mouth real tight. I wonder if Howley is a better option for a sleeper like me. What do you think?

TMJJill

Re: Sleeping with Essix Retainers

#2 Post by TMJJill »

I'm a few weeks out from getting my braces off. My dentist uses clear retainers (Essix style) for his patients. I'm having a sleep study done this week to see what type of customization I may need for my retainer. I was a severe bruxer prior to beginning treatment with my orthodontist. He has indicated he can "build up" my retainer to accommodate the bruxing if he needs to. It might be something to ask your orthodontist about.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

BraceFace2o1o

#3 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I have essix retainers and clench during the night too. I often wake up to find my jaws jammed together so hard my teeth can hurt. When I first got my essix retainers I was very worried about how they would handle my clenching but they seem to have done ok so far, no damage has been done but then again I've only been wearing them 4 weeks. Now that I have been wearing them nightly for 4 weeks I do not feel as worried about them, I think they will last me quite a while. They look quite thick to some I have seen so maybe mine are thicker. I would also think people might have more of a problem if only one arch has an essix retainer, with both arches wearing essix retainers only the essix are coming into contact on the biting surface of the teeth.

Definitely discuss it with your ortho though. I plan to when I get round to it. I mentioned it to my dentist at my checkup after my braces were removed and even he suggested I talk to my ortho about it and see whether a hawley might be better for night time.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

jem

#4 Post by jem »

I have a bonded retainer, so am only required to wear a removable one for 12 hours overnight, although my ortho did say that it would do no harm to wear the removable for longer during the first few weeks, which I have done. My ortho gave me an essix removable and I paid extra to get a hawley. I usually wear the hawley when I go to bed and make up additional hours with the essix. That regime seems to be working OK.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

TMJJill

#5 Post by TMJJill »

My braces came off this morning. I picked up my Essix retainers this evening. I talked to my dentist about my bruxism concerns and he took some extra molds so I could get a sleep appliance. When I get them, I'll have the sleep splint at night and retainers during the day. In the meantime, the said the Essix 24/7 is fine.

TMJJill

#6 Post by TMJJill »

My new sleep appliance is an Essix with a 'wedge' added that keeps my lower jaw from falling back when I'm lying down. Tonight will be my second night. I had to have it adjusted quite a bit today, but it now feels more comfortable. I'm hopeful with the positioning that it will keep me from bruxing. Time will tell.

bracedincollege?

#7 Post by bracedincollege? »

I actually came up with kind of a makeshift solution for clenching with essix retainers in. I still wear a top one at night and I was having issues, so I decided to try moulding a mouthguard around it, and it worked for me! Obviously I don't know if that would be a solution for anyone else, but I've been using it for a while with no issues.