Do the front wires of Hawley retainers touch your teeth?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wearetheborg

#1 Post by wearetheborg »

My dentist who made the replacement retainers claims they need not...

jackjack

#2 Post by jackjack »

Yes they are pressed against the teeth. How else would they hold them in place?

wearetheborg

#3 Post by wearetheborg »

jackjack wrote:Yes they are pressed against the teeth. How else would they hold them in place?
Thats what I thought. I went to my regular dental surgeon, the ortho was just back today. They both said the replacement retainers were substandard. New molds were made.

Sigh
:(

jackjack

#4 Post by jackjack »

Oh good, so you're getting new retainers??
I complained about my top retainer having a gap between the acrylic and back of teeth. Get my new top retainer on Friday.

wearetheborg

#5 Post by wearetheborg »

jackjack wrote:Oh good, so you're getting new retainers??
I complained about my top retainer having a gap between the acrylic and back of teeth. Get my new top retainer on Friday.
Actually I went to another ortho, who then made a seperate set of essix type retainers as a replacment for my replacement hawley retainers, which in turn were meant to replace my original retainers :-\

Today I went to the dentist, and told him about the ortho and the dental surgeons opinions on his original retainers, and he agreed that the technicians had done a substandard job; so he is making another set of hawley retainers himself tomorrow...

alimommy1

#6 Post by alimommy1 »

The front wire touches your teeth unless you have one out of line that needs to be pushed forward. The same would be true of the acrylic on the back side - if you have a tooth that needs to be moved back, there would be a space between the tooth and the acrylic so it could move.

jackjack

#7 Post by jackjack »

None of my teeth needed any more movement post braces, so the extra space concerned me. I paid thousands of dollars for these teeth! You should expect your treatment to be done right.

drrick

#8 Post by drrick »

The bow can be adjusted so it touches the teeth.
On teh oterh side of the coin I have seen bows so tight that they wore a notch in the teeth (that would be too tight)
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News