Essix retainer- swollen gums

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Unlikejoey

Essix retainer- swollen gums

#1 Post by Unlikejoey »

Hi, I got my essix retainer yesterday (upper only) and when I got it fitted it was tight but went on fine. I took it out to eat but when I went to put it back in my gums were swollen on one side and there was a line left on my gum from where the retainer had been. I managed to get it back in later last night and slept with it in my my gums were very sore and this morning they are more swolled and soome of the skin on my gum has been rubbed off leaving a sore. I'm supposed to wear the retainer 24/7 for the first 6 weeks but I can't even get it on just now. Is this normal?

Treehugger

#2 Post by Treehugger »

That's not normal. If it is making a sore on your gums, you need to go in and have it adjusted. (Or maybe you already have.) Good luck!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#3 Post by blindboarder2008 »

i agree this isn't normal, i would be calling your ortho right away to get him to look at things.
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!