bonded retainer-but NOT a wire-help?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shar

bonded retainer-but NOT a wire-help?

#1 Post by shar »

I have been reading through the existing posts and have not seen this issue come up. I had a bonded retainer placed on the upper teeth yesterday. I was expecting the wire (and didn't really think there was anything else). Instead what I got was what looked like a thin ribbon made (I think) of fiberglass. Then over that, they basically slathered lots and lots of bonding material. It oozed through the spaces between my teeth so now I can not floss at all in these spaces. It's not all that uncomfortable, and at least I don't have to worry about food getting stuck, but I am worried that no one else seems to have this type of retainer. I am also worried about decay in the spaces that were cemented as they weren't cleaned or flossed or anything first. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

philipp

#2 Post by philipp »

Can't imagine retainer wire of fiberglass. Sure it is not braided metal?

I think the glue should never get between the teeth. Had lower retainers fitted one week ago and have the very same problem between two teeth. Can't floss and will ask my ortho on Monday to fix this problem. If need be, by redoing the retainer.

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

Some docs use that.

Can you get a floss threader through underneath the bonded retainer (like you did with your braces) You should be able to do that.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

smiledoc

#4 Post by smiledoc »

Ribbond is used as a splinting material and it is fiberglass ribbon. Extra adhesive between contacts could be a problem for the health of your gums and teeth. Best to have your doctor check it out asap.