How should a retainer properly fit?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

girl_with_a_bob

#1 Post by girl_with_a_bob »

I just went from an upper essix retainer to an upper hawley retainer (I am currently only in night time wear). I was used to the essix fitting really snug over my teeth. When I put the Hawley in it feels a bit loose, and there is a small gap at the roof of my mouth and the retainer. After wearing it fo a few hours, it sems to be a little more snug. I've never worn a hawley retainer before, so I'm not sure this is normal. How should the retainer fit, and how can I tell if it fits properly? The ortho told me it would feel strange, but is this feeling normal? I go back in two weeks for a check and adjustment if needed. Thanks.

PatJ

#2 Post by PatJ »

I started wearing my Hawley (top and bottom) on Thursday last week and I am in day/night ("most of the time" said the ortho). Like you there is a gap between the retainer and my palate and the retainer fits half way down the back of my front six teeth so it is really locking them in place. The retainers felt very bulky at first but after 4 days I am hardly noticing them and my speech has returned to 95% normality. So I think yours sounds ok.