Gum shaving?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Andromeda

#16 Post by Andromeda »

Wow yea burning flesh smell probably is sort of scary, hah! But good to know that it wasn't physically painful :) I got my braces off today and I definitely want to look into this procedure because the gummy smile thing is just really bothering me. I might have to wait a little while though because my gums are definitely pretty swollen from the braces...

Here's my gummy smile :shock:

fluffybottom

#17 Post by fluffybottom »

Oh! Your teeth are so pretty! I hope mine look half as good when I get mine off!

CONGRATS!
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

Andromeda

#18 Post by Andromeda »

Aww thanks! Yea I'm pretty happy with how the teeth turned out but some whitening and gum removal will make them look a lot better I think :)

Miranbrady20

#19 Post by Miranbrady20 »

im deff gonna get my gums worked on .. my teeth are pretty well straight now but when i smile fully all i see is gums still!! it depresses me so bad! so i will be gettin this done... i just hope its not too pricey and i wonder if my ortho can do it or if i have to go back to my periodontist again...

JoviFan

#20 Post by JoviFan »

Hi all - wow - it's been a long while since i posted on these boards - but I just got my lower braces off June 2 and got my lowers off yesterday, July 13 --- WA HOO!!!

I, too, am considering the gum surgery - although mine is pretty involved since I have 'extra bone growth' esp in my upper outer gums - I want to have the surgery done, BUT am very afraid of the 'what if's'....so not sure what to do - I have had 2 perio consults and 1 oral surgeon consult...not sure which type of doc to go with either. The gum part scares me cuz I do not want to end up with those little triangles at the gum line, but would love to get rid of my gummy smile and the extra bone in the upper gums! Not sure what I'll end up doing ....
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

gracey82

#21 Post by gracey82 »

im curious : For the ppl who went for gum countouring , do you have gummy smile before braces or only after braces?

Im wrorry as I have gummier smile than before i have braces

JoviFan

#22 Post by JoviFan »

gracey82 wrote:im curious : For the ppl who went for gum countouring , do you have gummy smile before braces or only after braces?

Im wrorry as I have gummier smile than before i have braces
hmm, I've always had a gummy smile, b4 and after braces, but my problem is I have some bone overgrowth also, now that DID get worse since braces :( so I should have a fair amount of bone removed, and I still haven't decided what to do, pretty scared and worried about the 'what if's' !!! Was hoping more on here had something similar done - or atleast the gum flap surgery!
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

staceyr2

#23 Post by staceyr2 »

I know this may be a little late, but I had the gum surgery about a week and a half ago at a perio office. It is painful, not the procedure (muscle relaxer before procedure, lots of novacaine during and good pain killers for after), but since the good pain pills are gone, healing has been pretty painful. I do have quite a low pain threshold too though. I really hate pain, and have had quite enough of dealing with mouth pain, but still worth it in the end. It is a bit expensive too (total was about $3500). I have a good dental insurance so they are paying for half of it. I had nearly all of my teeth done, top & bottom and quite a bit of bone removed as well. And it was done with scalpel and other tools, no laser. Here are a couple of pics, I am totally happy I had it done. Oh, and yes I had a very gummy smile before braces, and the braces made it a little worse.

BEFORE (big smile):

AFTER (big smile):

I do have some "little triangles" but I plan to have some tooth reshaping done too, in the future. I know that may be expensive too, but how much is too much to get what you want, and if you can work it into your budget, why not? We only live once, you know!
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

JoviFan

#24 Post by JoviFan »

WOW Stacey - the results look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!!
Since I have ALOT of bone that needs shaving/recontouring I'm going to an oral surgeon - then I may have to go to a perio for the actual 'gum reshaping' if I decide to.. The oral surgeon said that since alot of bone has to come off in my case, that the gum *may* following the bone line when it heals.... so I may or may not need that 2nd gum reshaping procedure afterall... only time will tell --- the oral sx wants me to wait 6-8 months to let my mouth 'settle down' before we go messing with it again, since my mouth seems to 'overgrow' bone when it's disrupted....