Essix Retainer and other questions

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lexmir

Essix Retainer and other questions

#1 Post by Lexmir »

Hey there,

I got debraced June 16th. Got some essix retainers...let me say the first few days with them were terrible, the feeling of not being able to close your mouth totally is awful. But like everyone else I got used to them.

Just a few questions/comments

- I am not positive, but I think my retainer has changed my teeth inwards...I believe that the way I close my mouth now without my retainer on is not the way I did when I had braces on. Is it possible the retainer warped? (I don't use hot/warm water on it)

- My ortho told me to use toothpaste and much like many of you have said...it does scratch it up. They are microscratches so you don't see them but it does make the retainer a little less clear when it's not in your mouth.

- Retainer morning breath, is it just me or is it 10x worse than normal morning breath...

- How does long term wear fare? I know it's better aesthetically but when I'm only wearing it at night, I don't care. So what's best for keeping teeth straight?

Thanks guys.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Can't answer q1.

Re q2: I've used toothpaste and steradent tabs (once a week). My retainers look really tacky after 4 months, but they're quite intact. As I'm on nightwear only, it's not an issue for me.

Re q3: I get a bit of retainer breath as I pull them off in the morning, but then it passes.

Re q4: follow your ortho's instructions!

SnowSara

#3 Post by SnowSara »

Can't add much more other than I think my teeth always feel weird after taking my retainer out, might be something else to get used to. I've been following my ortho's instructions to rinse with mouthwash and brush it gently, the effervescent tabs do wonders on any retainer odors and clean them up like new. I feel like my teeth have "settled" a bit since getting my braces off, they are still quite straight but feel a little different. I have my first retainer check in August, am anxious to see if that is all normal or what.

Can't say on longevity of the retainer yet, it still looks like new but it's only been 5 months. I love my retainers and think they are quite comfortable and doing their job, but I'm not totally sold on having to replace them more frequently than a hawley. We'll see.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

cindygale

#4 Post by cindygale »

yes your morning breath is worse with retainers in I think.

Teddybear

Re:

#5 Post by Teddybear »

My orthodontist told me today that you should wear your your retainers for 24/7 for the first 3 months, then 12/7 (night wear) for a year, then after that you wear it for 1 night a week for the rest of your life.

I just got my essix retainers today!