A question

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dee

A question

#1 Post by Dee »

Dear All,
I am due to have my braces removed in about two months, the orthodontist intends to place bonded retainers on the upper and lower "front 6 teeth".

The one thing I forgot to ask was - how are the molars retained if only the front teeth have a bonded retainer? I intend to ask him when I go back just before christmas, but was wondering if anyone here coud enlighten me.

Thanks for any help,

Dee

downhillsnowskier

#2 Post by downhillsnowskier »

Dee,

I'd definately talk to the ortho, unless your retainer is going to touch them somehow I'm not sure how they will be retained. I do know that some retainers don't even reach back that far, so maybe the risk is lower back there? Let us know what you find.

Dee

#3 Post by Dee »

Hi downhillskier
thankyou for the reply. I am due to go back to the ortho next week, so will let you know what he says.

Dee

Kevin

#4 Post by Kevin »

You'll most likely still have retainers. I have a bonded retainer on my bottom teeth and my lower Hawley fits right over it to hold everything past the front 6 teeth.

Dee

#5 Post by Dee »

Hi Kevin and downhillskier,
I asked the ortho about how the other teeth are retained. Just as you said Kevin I will also have removable retainers to wear every night (for ever) to retain the other teeth.

The ortho fitted the upper bonded retainer just before christmas - it took a few days to get used to but now I do not even notcie it. The braces, upper and lower are due to come off on the 5th of february :)

I have to say that my teeth are so much better and that my jaw problems are now minimal. I just hope that everything stays put in the future.

Best wishes,
Dee

johnnys_angel

#6 Post by johnnys_angel »

I have two bonded retainers, and those are the only retainers I have. My ortho explained it in (obviously simplified) terms that, for me, since my mouth is completely full of teeth with no extra room, if my front six teeth are cemented in place, the back teeth will have nowhere to go :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05: