My Ortho's office ROCKS! (retainers)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KittyW

My Ortho's office ROCKS! (retainers)

#1 Post by KittyW »

I was debanded at the end of May and got my upper Essix and lower Hawley in early June. Last month, my Essix cracked in the front. Since I was going to have a crown and filling replaced on my upper teeth about a week after the retainer cracked, my ortho's office said it would be ok to wear the "temporary" Essix they made for me the day I was debanded. I finally got the permanent crown glued in yesterday and saw my ortho this morning to get molds made for the new Essix.

To my surprise and delight...the dental tech told me that while almost every Essix has a lifespan (usually about 6 months according to her), mine cracked sooner than is typical. For that reason, the new retainer would be free of charge to me! :D PLUS, they made me a second "backup" retainer at NO CHARGE! WoW! 8) One retainer costs $40. So now I have 2 brand spankin' new Essix retainers and no damage to my wallet (which is hurting after paying my dentist for the crown and fillings).

While I waited for my retainers to be made, I enjoyed a cinnamon raisin bagel and a freshly made caramel latte in my ortho's office. It seems that they are really making a big effort to give the adult patients some perks lately. I don't remember it while I was in braces (but then, I stopped eating bagels while in braces...just not worth the effort).

Cool, huh?
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

KittyW

#2 Post by KittyW »

Meryaten,

The latte was a real treat! I sort of gave up coffee and tea after I had my teeth whitened in June. My appt was at 8 am and I didn't sleep well because my lower jaw was sore from 3 huge novacaine injections yesterday (I think my dentist is a bit overkill on novacaine!).

I was tickled to get 2 new retainers! They looks so NEW and clear and clean! Even tho I kept my "old" retainer clean, nothing beats brand new ones! :D
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration

Attagirl2

#3 Post by Attagirl2 »

Super news Kitty. The refreshments were a nice tough since you had a wait.... You were good publicity, sitting there with your nice new smile!
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

KittyW

#4 Post by KittyW »

All of the other adults in the waiting area were there with their kids. One woman asked me if I was waiting for my kid LOL :lol: Then I gave her the play by play of my braces. She in turn told me that she had braces 20 years ago and had a bonded retainer and that her 3 kids and husband were all now currently in braces (ouch to the wallet!).
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration

KittyW

#5 Post by KittyW »

I have to say that it is an odd feeling being the ortho's office sans braces! I have to go back in December for another retainer/teeth check. I think it continues for 2 years after de-banding.
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration