Anyone with upper AND lower Essix retainers?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

erica

Anyone with upper AND lower Essix retainers?

#1 Post by erica »

I'll be getting my braces off this summer, and I asked my ortho yesterday what type of retainers he expects I'll require. He anticipates upper and lower Essix, with no permanent bonded retainers. He said that he starts many adults out this way and monitors closely for shifting, in which case he considers Hawleys and/or bonded retainers.

I'm psyched that I won't have anything really visible (though a bit concerned about lisping or developing an open bite)...but from others' posts here, I got the impression that Essix was generally used only for the upper teeth? Am I wrong about that? Does anyone else here have both upper and lower Essix retainers? If so, can you give me any feedback? Thanks! :)

Grin&bareit73

#2 Post by Grin&bareit73 »

Hi Erica!

I'm not even braced yet (5 more days) but my ortho told me that I will have upper and lower Essix retainers, as well as upper and lower fixed retainers.

I'm being treated for lots of gaps though, and I'm under the impression they are hard to keep from reappearing so that may be why...

Hope this helps!! Lots of luck!! :D
[/url]

"Smile; if you can't lift the corners, let the middle sag..."

erickq

Essix Retainers

#3 Post by erickq »

Hey Erica!

Glad to hear that you will be getting the braces off this summer! You'll love it. :D

Anyways, I have upper AND lower essix retainers. They are not bad at all. Speech is just fine, and people don't even notice that they are in. I'm glad I have these instead of the retainer that sits on the roof of your mouth with the metal bar or the permanment retainers for the bottom.

Also.. some people are said to have these retainers temporarily, only to check progress later, and possibly have to get permanent retainers or the regular wire one made, but after my checkup appt. he said I was doing fine, and that I'll have these for the rest of my days.

Any other questions, just e-mail. I hope I helped.

Erick.

mtbrncofn

#4 Post by mtbrncofn »

I just got my retainers today and they are Essix, both upper and lower. I have a little bonded retainer on the top too. When I put the top one on, holy smokes it was tight and kind of painful. I was warned though!

To my surprise, I got 2 sets of retainers. I didn't know I would get 2. Does everyone else normally get 2 sets as well?
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

erica

#5 Post by erica »

Thanks everyone for the responses! Grin&bareit, the gap theory makes sense...I had extractions, and I'd sure hate for those holes to open back up! And Erick, you have NO IDEA how comforting it is to hear that you're pleased with your upper and lower Essix - I hope the same ends up holding true for you mtbrncofn! I had always hoped my ortho would prescribe an upper Essix, but I just never knew that a lower one would even be an option. Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Erica :)

spragers

#6 Post by spragers »

Hi,

I have both upper & lower Essix retainers, had them for a month or so now. At first I had trouble with my speech, but it's pretty good now (better than with braces lol). I have had some jaw pain / TMJ-like symptoms though, because they do hold your jaw apart. I think they are doing an OK job with keeping everything in place, but I can tell if I go for even a few hours without wearing them - when I put them back on they are TIGHT. On the plus side, they are very unobtrusive, and even when I tell people I'm wearing them, they get right up to my face and still can't tell I'm wearing them. {;us, my ortho told me he normally doesn't charge for replacements :D

I'm actually going in Wednesday morning for a check-up to see how my bite is doing, etc.

Hope that helps!