I got retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Message
Author
Azul
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:35 pm

I got retainers

#1 Postby Azul » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:43 am

IMG_1783.JPG
Hi there,

After 2,5 years in braces I finally got them off. Initial estimate time was 1,5 years but I have been very happy and motivated during the process. After the braces came off I missed them, I was so used to them...then they game me the Essix retainers which were fine but I wanted to try the Hawley type so I asked for them and I really like them, even if being bulkier and less aesthetic than the Essix I love wearing them, they feel more robust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeska0113
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Re: I got retainers

#2 Postby Jeska0113 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:50 am

What was the difference in the retainers? I didn't know there were different kinds..

jaime
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:00 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: I got retainers

#3 Postby jaime » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:50 am

Jeska0113 wrote:What was the difference in the retainers? I didn't know there were different kinds..


Check out this post: http://www.dentakit.com/tyofre.html

There are a few different types.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Jeska0113
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Re: I got retainers

#4 Postby Jeska0113 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 am

jaime wrote:
Jeska0113 wrote:What was the difference in the retainers? I didn't know there were different kinds..


Check out this post: http://www.dentakit.com/tyofre.html
There are a few different types.


Wow thanks!

Bondja57
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Re: I got retainers

#5 Postby Bondja57 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Just had my braces removed yesterday! :D

First night with 24/7 Essix. Tough!

FlyByNight
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 am

Re: I got retainers

#6 Postby FlyByNight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:30 am

I have 2 sets of Essix retainers. One is from the initial debond,the second was after a few teeth they grinded down. I have had no problems with the Essix retainers and love them. Do your retainers have a rubber liner around the metal bar? I've seen some that are bear metal on your teeth.

Rebeccasmells
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:11 am

Re: I got retainers

#7 Postby Rebeccasmells » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:19 am

Why don't they just give everyone the metal one?

FlyByNight
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 am

Re: I got retainers

#8 Postby FlyByNight » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:27 am

[quote="Rebeccasmells"]Why don't they just give everyone the metal one?[/quote]

I prefer the Essix retainers over the Hawley. The Hawley is pretty bulky on the roof of your mouth. When I got my clear plastic ones, I couldn't even tell they were in my mouth after a day. They're so thin and they don't cause a lisp.

Rebeccasmells
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:11 am

Re: I got retainers

#9 Postby Rebeccasmells » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:05 am

I meant perm wire

FlyByNight
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 am

Re: I got retainers

#10 Postby FlyByNight » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:03 am

[quote="Rebeccasmells"]I meant perm wire[/quote]

I chose not to because it's harder to clean around it and I didn't want a wire in my mouth after braces. I had crowding in my lower incisors and have not seen any signs of relapse.

Rebeccasmells
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:11 am

Re: I got retainers

#11 Postby Rebeccasmells » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:34 am

FlyByNight wrote:
Rebeccasmells wrote:I meant perm wire


I chose not to because it's harder to clean around it and I didn't want a wire in my mouth after braces. I had crowding in my lower incisors and have not seen any signs of relapse.


I'll but it's not really your choice what retainer you get.... but I get your point

FlyByNight
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 am

Re: I got retainers

#12 Postby FlyByNight » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Rebeccasmells wrote:
FlyByNight wrote:
Rebeccasmells wrote:I meant perm wire


I chose not to because it's harder to clean around it and I didn't want a wire in my mouth after braces. I had crowding in my lower incisors and have not seen any signs of relapse.


I'll but it's not really your choice what retainer you get.... but I get your point


Nope it was completely my choice. They asked what I wanted before I got them off. After all, they're my teeth, my choices.

Rebeccasmells
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:11 am

Re: I got retainers

#13 Postby Rebeccasmells » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:22 pm

FlyByNight wrote:
Rebeccasmells wrote:
FlyByNight wrote:
I chose not to because it's harder to clean around it and I didn't want a wire in my mouth after braces. I had crowding in my lower incisors and have not seen any signs of relapse.


I'll but it's not really your choice what retainer you get.... but I get your point




Nope it was completely my choice. They asked what I wanted before I got them off. After all, they're my teeth, my choices.


Didn't realise you knew more than the ortho and could make that choice ;)

Anyway I'm basing my judgements based on the above video

Azul
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: I got retainers

#14 Postby Azul » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:19 am

My ortho usually gives Essix retainers to patients because they are better aesthetically so people are more compliant wearing them, but I think both types of retainers are good. I personally prefer the Hawley type, I feel more comfortable with them and they are more robust, I dont care about the wire.


Return to “The Naked Tooth (Retainers and Life After Braces)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests