Bottom teeth can not be moved!

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Big Dave

Bottom teeth can not be moved!

#1 Post by Big Dave »

I was slightly disapointed to hear that my bottom teeth were unable to be aligned with my upper teeth. I have been receiving treatment for 7 months,and was supprised to hear that treatment may end in as little as 3 months time!I almost got the impression that it would not be worth the effort to try to move the teeth.I was expecting an extraction to enable the lower teeth to slide around by approx 3mm ( half a tooth width). The ortho told me that it was unlikely that this could happen due to jaw structure and jaw alingement. I still have some adjustment on the top teeth and am still pleased with the results so far.Should I compromise and accept that my bottom teeth will not line up with my uppers,or should I seek a second opinion? I feel as though I have been given no option and will just have to accept my ortho's dicission.

Joanna20

#2 Post by Joanna20 »

I agree with what KK said. Getting other oppinions will releive u I guess. At least u know you've done everything u could and u get to be sure that nothing else can ever be more improved.

Good luck,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

rsprouse

Re: Bottom teeth can not be moved!

#3 Post by rsprouse »

I was slightly disapointed to hear that my bottom teeth were unable to be aligned with my upper teeth. I have been receiving treatment for 7 months,and was supprised to hear that treatment may end in as little as 3 months time!I almost got the impression that it would not be worth the effort to try to move the teeth.I was expecting an extraction to enable the lower teeth to slide around by approx 3mm ( half a tooth width). The ortho told me that it was unlikely that this could happen due to jaw structure and jaw alingement. I still have some adjustment on the top teeth and am still pleased with the results so far.Should I compromise and accept that my bottom teeth will not line up with my uppers,or should I seek a second opinion? I feel as though I have been given no option and will just have to accept my ortho's dicission.
Dave,

There are always options and it sounds like your ortho is trying to decipher what s/he thinks you want. I would venture to guess that there are surgical options to give you an "ideal" orientation and bite or other restorative options. But they would all have drawbacks, would compromise different things, and cost quite a bit of money. You need to communicate with your ortho and let them know how disappointed you are. Ask if there are any possibilities no matter how much time or cost is involved. Then you can make an educated decision. If you want another opinion, there is no problem consulting with another clinician.

Good luck, I hope your treatment ends the way you want.

Best,
Rory