Custom Mouthguards

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jason

Custom Mouthguards

#1 Post by Jason »

Hi,

I'm trying to find out whether or not custom mouthguards (for sports) can be made for patients in braces. I actually asked my orthodontist if he could make one and he told me something about getting a regular mouthguard from the store, so I didn't press him on it. I called a regular dentist's office and they said that it could be done, but only by an orthodontist.

Should I try to get another orthodontist to sell me one, or what? Do they work well enough to be worth it (i.e. big improvement in comfort, being much less bulky than retail guards even though a custom guard obviously can't be made precisely to your teeth since they are moving during treatment and have brackets on them)? Also I would appreciate any other info you may have like what price to expect if so..I really want a better mouthguard for basketball! Thanks, Docs.

Jason

Boil & Bite ok?

#2 Post by Jason »

A related question that has come up in my search for a comfortable mouth guard..

A web site sells a mouthguard saying "these mouth guards are recommended for use with orthodontic braces," but it is a boil-and-bite 80 seconds mouth guard. But of course from my own doctor and everywhere else, I've seen that the mouthguards you boil shouldn't be used. Is this just irresponsible marketing or could there be something different about these? Here's a picture, thanks:

http://www.goallineathletics.com/images ... timate.jpg

fins

#3 Post by fins »

I think you need to ask your ortho if they can get you a more comfortable mouthguard. I think they can trim them also to fit better.