Retainer Limitations

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Retainer Limitations

#1 Post by Chris »

I would like to know ALL the things that a retainer is capable of doing besides "retaining" the teeth in the final position. Thanks!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

weird_wired

#2 Post by weird_wired »

Depends what kind of retainer you mean. Different people need or prefer different types. I plan to get fixed and removeable. However even with fixed, teeth continue to shift after your braces come off.

statisticschick

#3 Post by statisticschick »

I had spring retainers as a kid (I think that's the technical name) to close some minor gapping in my top teeth and help straighten out some teeth on the bottom. Basically, the way it was explained to me, is that a spring retainer (which is removable) is good for correcting minor problems. The only problem is that I stopped wearing my spring retainers about two years ago and my teeth have significantly shifted (I am now 28). I have an appointment with an orthodontist next week to hopefully just get some new retainers made. I am also hoping that if I start wearing the retainers again, my teeth will either go back to where they were or at least not get any worse.

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

Can the springs be applied on the retainer by the ortho at the same visit, or does it have to go to the lab to be created?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

statisticschick

#5 Post by statisticschick »

I believe everything is done at the lab. Whenever I had a spring retainer made, it was completely finished by the time it arrived. The ortho would usually just make adjustments.