Impacted wisdom teeth

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AllSmiles

Impacted wisdom teeth

#1 Post by AllSmiles »

HI :)

I went today for a consultation at an Orthodontist. After reviewing my panoramic, the doc says I dont need to have my wisdom teeth removed.

I am 32 years old and all four of my wisdom teeth are impacted. One of which is horizontally impacted. The other three aren't as bad. The doc also says that one of them may come in.

I havn't had any problems with them yet and I would hate to get braces, then have my wisdom teeth start causing problems.

Should I get a second opinion?

Thanks to all that reply. =D

jennandtonic

#2 Post by jennandtonic »

Yes, I think you should get a second opinion. A friend of mine was told her impacted wisdom teeth wouldn't cause any problems braces and teeth wise, and now, two years into her treatment they find that because her wisdom teeth were not taken out she can't ever have completely straight teeth!

I'm not saying that will happen to you, but just to be on the safe side I would go for another opinion.

johnnys_angel

#3 Post by johnnys_angel »

I would definitely get a second opinion.......you very well may have enough room in your mouth, but I wouldn't risk the chance after all of that work on your smile :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I can only speak from experience of having one impacted wisdom tooth (the rest came through). It's been there for 35 years without giving trouble. It's being left where it is for the time being.

rsprouse

#5 Post by rsprouse »

If you are uncomfortable with the opinion of your orthodontist there is no problem in getting a second opinion. If you are 32 and your 3rd molars have not erupted then there is a good chance that they may never come in. If you choose to leave them impacted then you should have periodic checkups to make sure that you do not have any pathology develop (OKC, Cysts, etc) around them. Pathology is NOT likely, but you are at higher risk. Kinda like having a regular mammogram or prostate exam after 40, not saying it will happen but you need to be aware of potential problems.

You cannot compare yourself to your friend that had ortho problems when their wisdom teeth erupted. Some people have larger mouths and space for 3rd molars, others do not. My rule of thumb is that if the teeth erupt properly and cause no problems then leave them. If there is a lack of space and the patient cannot clean them and they can potentially cause periodontal problems for them or teeth in the area then they should be removed. It is a case by case basis.

You did not say what kind of impaction you have? Were you told if they were soft tissue, partial bony, or full bony impaction's? I would guess that they are full bony impaction's and that is why the ortho recommended you leave them. Good Luck.

Best,
Rory

AllSmiles

#6 Post by AllSmiles »

You did not say what kind of impaction you have? Were you told if they were soft tissue, partial bony, or full bony impaction's?

Well, the doc didnt say, so I'm not really sure. None of them have broke surface and I know I don't have room for them if they try.

Thanks for all the advice. :)

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

Get a second opinion....you never know.

I had 2 of mine out (left side only) about 5 years ago (I'm 42 now). Both my dentist and ortho have told me the other 2 can stay. Unless of course the tissue around them becomes infected like the other side did (that was unbelievably painful!!!). I have chosen to leave the others alone unless they get hot. They are both upright and one is partially erupted...the other is a bony impaction. I have a HUGE mouth and cleaning them is not a problem. :BigTeethGrin:

Everyone is different...even in one mouth, the tx can be different for each tooth! My dentist told me I must have the one out that was flairing up and I should at least go ahead and have the other on that side out as the recovery would be no different. (she did tell me to get all 4 out while I was there, but I didn't and she was okay with that) Now the other two are making everyone happy....go figure :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

AllSmiles

#8 Post by AllSmiles »

I went to my General and he says they don't need to come out right away, but eventually they should. So..... I went ahead and kept my Ortho appt. Since it would have been months before I could even be seen for a consultation by an Oral Surgeon.

sjsarre

#9 Post by sjsarre »

I've found since having the extractions near the front and my braces on for three months that my teeth have been pulled forward which has given room for my wisdom teeth to come on down.. And they have!! One of them was only very slightly partially errupted about 4 months ago, but now, its fully out! Which is great news... I've got a bothersome one on the otherside, but as my extraction gaps still have about 5mm to close I think it will be fine!!!

This was the plan from the start with my ortho treatment. remove four teeh because of severe crowding but also to allow my wisdom teeth room to move down..

Seems to have worked so far! :D