Dr Genecov: How to fix an overbite?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JumpTheDitch

Dr Genecov: How to fix an overbite?

#1 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Hey doc, I was wondering if you could enlighten me as to methods used to correct an overbite (combined with overjet)?

I think overbite is the right term, my ortho's initial findings stated:

- "large horizontal overlap of front teeth" (aka 'overjet' I think?)
- "lower front teeth hidden behind uppers" (aka 'overbite'?)
- "deep lower lip curve"
- "obvious wearing of some teeth"
Otherwise my teeth were basically straight. I had two x upper second bicuspids extracted a week after getting braced 6 mths ago. My treatment time is estimated 14 mths.

It seems that there are several methods used by different orthos to close extraction gaps (closing loops, powerchains, and some orthos apparently use elastics as well). I was wondering if there were also varying methods of correcting an overbite?

Are elastics commonly used to fix an overbite? Can an overbite by corrected without the use of elastics? Are there any other tools/appliances commonly used for overbite?

My lower midline is off by a few mm's so I was expecting elastics at some point to correct this, and currently have a powerchain top first molar to first molar to close extraction gaps.

I was also wondering about methods of preventing molars from moving following extractions. It seems some orthos use headgear to keep the molars behind extraction gaps stable, others seem to use a TPA or nance. My ortho never mentioned any other appliances but I do have buccal tubes and two labial hooks on the bands on my upper first molars. Following extractions my ortho banded my second molars top and bottom.

I realise these are really questions for my ortho but unfortunately he's not very big on communication. He's always very busy with several patients at once and doesn't really have time for q and a.

Any advice/info much appreciated!

NB: Apologies to all for the lengst of this epistle; I did do a search prior to posting but couldn't find an answer to my question(s!).

DrJeffOrtho

Re: Dr Genecov: How to fix an overbite?

#2 Post by DrJeffOrtho »

Hey doc, I was wondering if you could enlighten me as to methods used to correct an overbite (combined with overjet)?

I think overbite is the right term, my ortho's initial findings stated:

- "large horizontal overlap of front teeth" (aka 'overjet' I think?)
- "lower front teeth hidden behind uppers" (aka 'overbite'?)
- "deep lower lip curve"
- "obvious wearing of some teeth"
Otherwise my teeth were basically straight. I had two x upper second bicuspids extracted a week after getting braced 6 mths ago. My treatment time is estimated 14 mths.
**You've got your terminology down, and wanting to understand what is happening is good, but don't get too locked up in the hows or whats. There are as many ways to resolve orthodontic issues as there are orthodontists out there, and most all of them work. We are, as a group, tinkerers and we will all try a new way to do something if it willmake our tx more effective and better for the patients and ourselves..**

It seems that there are several methods used by different orthos to close extraction gaps (closing loops, powerchains, and some orthos apparently use elastics as well). I was wondering if there were also varying methods of correcting an overbite?

Are elastics commonly used to fix an overbite? Can an overbite by corrected without the use of elastics? Are there any other tools/appliances commonly used for overbite?
**Correcting vertical deep overbite problems rarely would use elastics, correcting excessive overjet most often would. **
My lower midline is off by a few mm's so I was expecting elastics at some point to correct this, and currently have a powerchain top first molar to first molar to close extraction gaps.
**Elastics are often used to correct midline discrepancies.**
I was also wondering about methods of preventing molars from moving following extractions. It seems some orthos use headgear to keep the molars behind extraction gaps stable, others seem to use a TPA or nance. My ortho never mentioned any other appliances but I do have buccal tubes and two labial hooks on the bands on my upper first molars. Following extractions my ortho banded my second molars top and bottom.
**If you are a good elastic wearer you may not need a headgear or othet appliance to keep your molars back, In fact, your orthodontist may be counting on a little forward movement of your molars to help get the best tooth fit . But ask him and wear the elastics EXACTLY as he tells you.**
I realise these are really questions for my ortho but unfortunately he's not very big on communication. He's always very busy with several patients at once and doesn't really have time for q and a.
**his treatment coordinator or the clinical assistant that you works with you should also be able to answer some of these questions.**

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Actually, this brings to mind an interesting point. Technically, what is the difference between an "overbite" and an "overjet"? People tend to use the terms interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

Overjet is the horizontal distance between the incisal edge of your opposing incisors. Overbite is the vertical distance between the incisal edge of your opposing incisors. Overbite makes your mandibular incisors look small because they are "hidden" behind your maxillary incisors. Overjet would be a large space when looking from below. People tend to say that a large overbite is a deep bite. Of course negative overbite is simply an open bite. Hope that helps.

Best,
Rory

JumpTheDitch

#5 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Thanks doc and all for replies, much appreciated!

Most enlightening, I also managed to tease some info out of ortho during adjustment, possibly because it was a locum ortho and he was much more receptive to my queries :thumbsup:.

I must admit I find it bizarre that there are so many varying ways of achieving the same results, but I'm starting more and more to see orthos as 'teeth mechanics'. Maybe engineers might be a better word! :D