anyone else have a broken/wired jaw from car accident?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

zekeandbelle

anyone else have a broken/wired jaw from car accident?

#1 Post by zekeandbelle »

Hello all,
Two weeks ago I wrecked my car and the air bag did NOT deploy... and so here I am with a broken jaw that is wired shut and other very unpleasant facial injuries. I'm looking for some one who may have advice regarding a break in the jaw that is very, very close to the roots of my front teeth. I've gotten two different recommendations: ENT who did surgery (because oral surgeon was not on staff) says they come off in 4 weeks, other opinion is from oral surgeon who says they have to stay on at least 6 weeks. I don't know what to do.. any suggestions? thanks much

zeke

EmilyTravels

Re: anyone else have a broken/wired jaw from car accident?

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

So sorry that this happened to you, Zeke. It is not pleasant!

I fractured my jaw in three places (both condyles and lower left front) in a bicycle accident back in April. Because of my age (56), my oral surgeon only left me in wires for two weeks as he didn't want my jaw to freeze, which is more common as we age. After having the wires removed, I was in heavy elastics on the arch bars for an additional three weeks.

I can't really answer your question, which I think is how long the wires should be left on in your case, as I am not an oral surgeon, but I've heard of many people who have them on for six weeks; that is usually the longest anyone has them on, and these are younger folks, which I presume you are. But I did fine having mine off quite a bit sooner than that.

I am now in braces to continue to improve my bite, which was messed up in the accident. The wiring improved it a lot, but it is still not where it was before the accident.

Best of luck to you as you go through this process. There are some good fractured jaw blogs out there if you google!