Hi from Hong Kong. Fit in one country, adjust in another. Braces by mail. DIY comments

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jago25

Hi from Hong Kong. Fit in one country, adjust in another. Braces by mail. DIY comments

#1 Post by Jago25 »

Hi all.

I just got back from the dentist. He said my teeth are a little bit crowded but not too bad. I decided I'll only get braces if:
- it's cheap
- it's very low risk

I've decided not to go for it and instead keep fighting with the floss. I learnt the most from DIY places. I think had it not been for them I might have gone for braces. Here's what I learnt and why I went against it:

- Invisiline is ~$5000USD here. I managed to get the price down to $3000. However...
- You can do it by mail, making the molds yourself from yoursmiledirect. They seem to be a UK company but the cost is still more than $2000USD. It's pretty amazing though to have the teeth realigned this way. Maybe this could be a good option for some people here?

- a guy managed to 3D print some himself and got away without destroying his teeth. Very interesting as I have access to this tech... but not for me seeing as if I get it wrong that would be a nightmare

- There's a craze for DIY braces in Asia at the moment. Kids buy the braces mostly for looks but some of them go a bit further and destroy their teeth. Anyway, what's really interesting for me is in reading about this you learn a lot more than the dentist might tell you. Basically, if you move the teeth too fast, or the wrong direction, you risk a bunch of complications. That's interesting to me and it's one of the reasons, along with price, why I decided not to go in for braces with the ortho`.

If I can get the price down to $500-1000USD, perhaps flying to Taipei or Thailand, yet with follow up adjustments in Hong Kong I might go for it. If another company from somewhere cheaper than the UK starts offering the braces by mail at a lower price then I'm going to do it.

assertives

Re: Hi from Hong Kong. Fit in one country, adjust in another. Braces by mail. DIY comments

#2 Post by assertives »

Jago25 wrote:Hi all.

I just got back from the dentist. He said my teeth are a little bit crowded but not too bad. I decided I'll only get braces if:
- it's cheap
- it's very low risk

I've decided not to go for it and instead keep fighting with the floss. I learnt the most from DIY places. I think had it not been for them I might have gone for braces. Here's what I learnt and why I went against it:

- Invisiline is ~$5000USD here. I managed to get the price down to $3000. However...
- You can do it by mail, making the molds yourself from yoursmiledirect. They seem to be a UK company but the cost is still more than $2000USD. It's pretty amazing though to have the teeth realigned this way. Maybe this could be a good option for some people here?

- a guy managed to 3D print some himself and got away without destroying his teeth. Very interesting as I have access to this tech... but not for me seeing as if I get it wrong that would be a nightmare

- There's a craze for DIY braces in Asia at the moment. Kids buy the braces mostly for looks but some of them go a bit further and destroy their teeth. Anyway, what's really interesting for me is in reading about this you learn a lot more than the dentist might tell you. Basically, if you move the teeth too fast, or the wrong direction, you risk a bunch of complications. That's interesting to me and it's one of the reasons, along with price, why I decided not to go in for braces with the ortho`.

If I can get the price down to $500-1000USD, perhaps flying to Taipei or Thailand, yet with follow up adjustments in Hong Kong I might go for it. If another company from somewhere cheaper than the UK starts offering the braces by mail at a lower price then I'm going to do it.
If your budget is only $500 -1000 USD, you could probably try thailand or malaysia. I don't think ortho treatment in taipei is cheap. Also, the guy that you mentioned that 3D printed his own aligners, actually had the full braces treatment under with an ortho in his younger days. His bite was good and he only needed to correct a couple of front teeth that were crooked. So what worked for him without any major issues may not work for the next person. DIY-ing braces definitely comes with alot of risks.