Newbie in Philly area

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tinman80

Newbie in Philly area

#1 Post by Tinman80 »

Hi, I'm a 36 (soon to be 37) year old man from the Philadelphia suburbs. I have known I need some kind of braces for a long time.

My story is fairly common. My parents only took us to the dentist for pain or emergencies. I did not see a dentist from 4th grade until sophomore year of college. I had two baby teeth on the bottom that were never replaced with adult teeth. My dentist said that the specific teeth are the most common to be congenitally missing. In any case, I had one of them removed at 19 because of a breakage.

My then dentist just assumed I didn't want braces and left it at that. After moving out on my own after college I used my dental insurance and met with a great dentist. He suggested braces but his practice was new to the area so he didn't know many local orthodontists. I didn't have a lot of money and my insurance did not cover adult braces.

I have let the years pass and have been dealing with tmj problems that come and go. Lately they come for a while before going. After a recent appointment where I was told the problems and pain come from my bite being so out of whack, I decided to seek out an orthodontist.

I am going for as many consultations as I can in the area as I have decided that I want to get this right.

Anyone with questions or suggestions can drop a line. I don't have people around to ask about this at my age so I came here.
Thanks,
Tinman

Tinman80

Re: Newbie in Philly area

#2 Post by Tinman80 »

I went in this morning and signed the paperwork. After that they took me back for records, which consisted of photos of me smiling and a profile shot. Then the photos were in the chair. They had hand held retractors for each side and took pictures of every angle they could, even some with a mirror in my mouth to get each arch.

Next was impressions. They had me bite down on a piece of wax that was u shaped to see how my teeth meet (in my case don't meet). Next was the impression paste of the lower, then upper jaw. I had to keep my mouth open with my chin downtrying not to drool on the hands of the lovely assistant/tech.

Next, the spacers/separators went in. They are baby blue but only noticeable if I yawn. They have only been in an hour , but I feel the pressure already. It is not bad just noticeable. Some stick up above my teeth. I find myself biting down softly to feel them move and even running my tongue against them. 2 separators wil squeak if I rub them by moving my jaw side to side. Anyone else have this happen?

My brace date is August 16th. Wish me luck.

I uploaded pictures on my Instagram. The name is Tin_man_80

sparx01

#3 Post by sparx01 »

Spacers Suck, period! However, this go around I didn't need them, they just placed brackets, instead of bands. Im in my second round of braces now at age 34, but had braces when I was 14, and at that time spacers were used prior to braces. I remember the spaces more than the braces, even though such a short few days. I so wanted braces put on to get rid of them. Bottom line, you will probably enjoy braces way better than spacers. In all actuality, braces do need getting used to, but it eventually gets a lot better within a couple days. Good luck Bud, as braces really arn't that bad.

Tinman80

#4 Post by Tinman80 »

I had to replace my own spacer last night. It had come loose after eating some Chinese food. I could feel, and when I got home, see the center hole as it hung down between my molars. I decided to take it out and try to replace it as today is my busiest day of the week.

I removed it with tweezers. Next I put two pieces of thread through opposite sides to stretch it enough to make it fit again. It worked well enough but I noticed that it was worn down at one point of the loop. It will be interesting to see if it lasts another week.

It felt so good to have it out for a few minutes.

Tinman80

#5 Post by Tinman80 »

They are on!
It took just over an hour. I took a farewell video of my naked teeth and went into the office.

The assistant removed spacers on each molar testing band sizes for each before repeating the process. Then she removed each band to glue it in place. Next was the etching on each tooth. After that the head orthodontist came in to position the brackets. She admitted to being a perfectionist. (I hope so!)

After she left the assistant cured the glue with the blue light gun.

Then came the archwires and my choice this first time silver ligatures.

I got the brushing instructions and the foods talk and scheduled my next appointment 8 weeks from now on Oct. 10th.

More Pics are on Instagram Tin_man_80
IMG_2959.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.