Ortho says he can't fix black triangles

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Twangsnap

Re: Ortho says he can't fix black triangles

#16 Post by Twangsnap »

Hi T1, I'm amazed at what you're telling me - my ortho told me NOTHING about what to expect during treatment or what kind of issues might arise during the alignment of my teeth. I've been thinking about my approach and I feel that there there are two spaces I really don't want to live with - the first is the one in between my middle teeth (see the photo) and the second is one large space on the right of my lower front teeth. I think that only the bottom one would need IPR, given he's adverse to it for some reason, that might convince him :P

I'm interested to hear how your ortho deals with your gaps, and how long it takes for them to close up...just so nervous at how close to the end of treatment I am, with this still unresolved :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BlondeCam

#17 Post by BlondeCam »

They look great, but I understand why you don't want the triangle. I wonder if they can do some binding.

BlondeCam

#18 Post by BlondeCam »

Bonding ...oops

Twangsnap

#19 Post by Twangsnap »

I just had my appointment and my ortho is just not going to touch those teeth. He considers it a gum issue, and therefore not his domain but the dentist's. Knowing France, this division of labour could even be a thing.
He said that the gap in my front teeth appearing 10 days after I started wearing elastics was just a coincidence - even when I showed him that the laterals are also starting to separate from my front teeth. He wants to wait and see now that I'm on a different elastic configuration.

I don't know, it's so frustrating. Yes he's probably right, my dentist can fix this, but everything he says contradicts many experiences on here with IPR being a routine procedure for ORTHOs, not just dentists. When I had my wires out today that gap in the front seemed so much bigger :(

Anyway, the irony of all of this is that he spent 15 minutes filing down points on my molars to get them to join better. So no problem filing teeth into shape when it's a mechanical thing, but not so much when it's aesthetic? Hmm.

Feeling really annoyed as I feel like this is going to cost me extra €€€ on top of what I'm already paying. I can't even properly celebrate the fact that I don't have to wear elastics 24/7 :ThumbsDown:

SinkFullOfDinner

#20 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

That would be frustrating. FWIW, however, your ortho's comment about wanting to wait and see with the new configuration might mean that he's not ruling out IPR to fix the triangles, but he just doesn't want to jump the gun and do it now, and then have to do it again differently later when things are lined up closer to their final positions. I know you're getting close to the target "get them the hell off" date, and I'd assume you're pretty close to the final positioning, so who knows what he's waiting for. But don't lose hope.

Looking at your photo above, it looks like the typical situation in which IPR is used, imo (should we start an IMNOO "in my non-orthodontist opinion" acronym?). Mine were doing the same thing, and my ortho went medieval with the IPR'ing and the triangles disappeared. You're also fortunate that your two front teeth are big enough that you don't really have to worry about a fraction of a mm of enamel being removed. They'll still look totally proportioned. It seems that you'd have all options available.

Because he/she mentioned your dentist, have you considered having your dentist do a quick looksy, and perhaps have them drop a message to your ortho that they recommend a bit of IPR to close the triangle? Because you've identified the issue in time, it's important to you, and it's fixable, I'm confident that it will get addressed. Just hold your ground. Even French medical professionals usually understand English swear words. And if not, everyone understands the body language of an angry woman who will not be denied!

jem

#21 Post by jem »

I agree with Sink, especially re getting your general dentist to contact your ortho.

My ortho managed to remove a similar triangle for me by doing IPR then placing a powerchain.

Stick to your guns!

jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Twangsnap

#22 Post by Twangsnap »

Hi Jem and Sink,

thanks for the responses, I think I will do as you suggest and try to get an emergency appointment with my dentist (there's normally a 5 month wait for a check up - don't ask me why - so my next one isn't until June when the braces will already be off). If all else fails I'll try to get an appointment at another practice. I find it baffling - I've looked on a French forum and have found a few similar cases with similar attitudes from the orthos, not even bothering to give a reason, just refusing to fix the issue. I hate that bullsh*t.
Even French medical professionals usually understand English swear words. And if not, everyone understands the body language of an angry woman who will not be denied!
Haha, right, he is very resistant to my angry stares. :roll:

SinkFullOfDinner

#23 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Haha, right, he is very resistant to my angry stares. :roll:
If that emoji didn't work on him, then take off the gloves and try one of these!: :evil: :braces_angry:

Twangsnap

#24 Post by Twangsnap »

I don't know what emoji will work on him - he's a man who sweeps you out the door with a handshake as soon as any difficult subject comes up. Perhaps i should just stage a sit in in the dentist's chair. That would hurt the bottom line, surely, if there was an angry middle aged female baring metal teeth at all the pre-teens coming in for check ups?

I'm totally on it.

bracinglp

#25 Post by bracinglp »

My ortho said I would have a black triangle, but that he would take care of it with IPR. Maybe he'll do that in the future??

BlondeCam

#26 Post by BlondeCam »

Hey y'all! My ortho started working on my black triangles this week. Going back for more in two weeks.

Aaeolien

#27 Post by Aaeolien »

I have one as well that I hope will get fixed. Just starting out with treatment so assuming that it'll get taken care of.

Glad to hear that yours is getting worked on.