Metal vs Clear: Who wins?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AndyB

Re: Metal vs Clear: Who wins?

#16 Post by AndyB »

I'm 17, currently with only upper set of braces, and metal was my only choice anyways, and I dont mind to be honest. I'm not really creative with elastics, decided to have only silver elastics on them, but I might try clear ones. The silver ones wont get stained by food and drinks so this is one of the advantages.

Lynloraa

#17 Post by Lynloraa »

I think metal works better because they are the traditional way of doing things and they tend to work faster in my opinion!

Lynloraa

#18 Post by Lynloraa »

Disregard my last post!! I tend to do blues, since they don't stain and they always look good with every outfit. The plum color was nice during the fall, but I hated the red. I think going with a color that matches everything (besides white or yellow) would look good!

HarryO

#19 Post by HarryO »

Clear tops her...bottoms TBA. Really preffered not flashing full tin grin at my age!

vanagloria

#20 Post by vanagloria »

Whoever wins, we lose.

Wait, that was Alien vs Predator, not braces. Sorry.

I have clear up top and metal on the bottom, all self-ligating. I feel like the ceramic is more gentle on the inside of my mouth, but the metal is less bulky, as far as comfort goes. Aesthetically, the ceramic is less obvious from a distance, but I don't think it's a big enough difference if you have to pay extra. (My ortho charges the same for either.)

David

#21 Post by David »

I'm 64. I have metal top and bottom. Really, nobody other than you cares. :tingrin:

burgers144

#22 Post by burgers144 »

I have both ceramic (clear) and metal braces. My top teeth are ceramic and my bottom are metal and I don’t really notice a difference besides the way they look. I’ve never gotten colored bands and don’t desire to, so I just get clear bands every visit. Since I’m older I don’t think it’s a big deal since everyone at my office says they wouldn’t recommend clear bands, but since I’m older it’s fine (minimal “staining”). None of my brackets have ever broken even though a lot of people have said ceramic braces are more delicate I haven’t found that to be the case.

Bracefacemom47

#23 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

I'm 47 and chose metal. I dont care about how it looks and what people think, plus i like to have colored O bands.
I didn't get invisalign because i knew I'd take them off when my teeth hurt.
I didnt choose ceramic because they are bigger and i already have issues with the insides of my cheeks (chewing) and didn't want them to strain liked my friend said they did.
I'm happy so far and already seeing change :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Emscrowding

#24 Post by Emscrowding »

I go in for my braces on Tuesday, I am getting ceramic on top and metal on bottom. I decided on getting ceramic because I’m the maid of honor in my future sister in laws wedding in June and I will be getting married myself in October 2019. I’m estimated to have braces for 18 months but I don’t want them to be noticeable in my wedding pictures if it ends up longer.

OccludedCarl

#25 Post by OccludedCarl »

I got the ceramic. Not nearly as noticeable in photos

EmmaJade

#26 Post by EmmaJade »

I have opted for the clear brackets just to be less noticeable. Working with the public I do not want to make it easier for them to find reasons to be abusive ha ha

lovelyanything621

#27 Post by lovelyanything621 »

For me, I wanted ceramic braces but then I realized that I wanted to have the full braces experience by having the metal brackets. I also wanted to switch up the colors because if you're going to have braces on for more than a year why not go all out by having as much fun you can while they last?

geauxpreaux

#28 Post by geauxpreaux »

i have clear on top and metal on the bottom and couldn’t be happier!

Aler58

#29 Post by Aler58 »

I have clear ceramic on top and metal on the bottom.

assertives

#30 Post by assertives »

I went for full metal. Didn't even consider other options because I didn't care enough about it being less visible to pay extra for them. Plus my colleague advised me to get mental because they are strong and sturdy, no frills and is more efficient than ceramics in her experience.

I am happy about my choice.