Oldie but (hopefully) goodie? Braces at 63

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

puckloo

Oldie but (hopefully) goodie? Braces at 63

#1 Post by puckloo »

Hi, everyone! I have been reading posts for a couple of months here, and decided to join in. :D

I just wonder if I am the oldest one here? I am 63 years old, and have ALWAYS wanted braces. Typical story: my parents were hard-working and wonderful, and didn't have the money when I was younger. Then I paid my way through college and grad school, then buckled down to work... and have never stopped. I decided to fix my smile before I retire. LOL~ Got Damon ceramic on top, metal on the bottom on August 18, 2016. Progress seems a bit slow to me, but I have little perspective to base that observation on.

I think I made the right decision! I just feel rather alone at my age and wonder if I have company somewhere out there. I am very active and work long hours -- most people wouldn't guess my actual age. I think the braces make me look younger! :HugeGrin:

Nice to meet you all... you can call me Loo. I love hockey, :GapToothed: but I still have all my teeth.

SingleJawMelb

Re: Oldie but (hopefully) goodie? Braces at 63

#2 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Photo please... I think I've developed a fetish for older guys in braces ;)

In all seriousness well done you for working hard and getting braces. You must have fairly good teeth?

puckloo

#3 Post by puckloo »

LOL~ I am so sorry, but I am a lady brace-face. Maybe someone will develop a liking for me and my Damon accessories? :mrgreen:

My teeth are almost perfect -- only have a couple of fillings I got when I was a kid. They're just crooked and not very functional - very open bite where only my last molars actually touched each other, and one front tooth almost turned sideways. TMJ that I have gotten used to over the years. I decided to do this while I am still working and fix the mechanical issues with my mouth.

thanks for the response and support, I appreciate it!!

carzfrm60s

#4 Post by carzfrm60s »

Welcome to the club. I thought I was pushing the age at nearly 57. Was hoping
to have mine off before that birthday next month, but next appt. not till January 5.
That will put me at 25 months and debanding not mentioned yet.

puckloo

#5 Post by puckloo »

Hi, nice to have company in my age bracket (no pun intended). :) I did check to see if AARP pays for ortho treatment. LOL~

Congrats on being so close to the end of your treatment. Mine is just beginning... next appointment is Nov 21. The first check up at six weeks, they just said have a nice day and did nothing. I am sure they know what they are doing though. My bottom teeth actually look a bit worse, but my sideways left incisor seems to be turning forward, little by little.

Check back and tell me how it's going. I am hoping to get de-braced on my birthday, too... April of 2018. :crazy:

LisainTX

#6 Post by LisainTX »

Hi Friends, Another "oldie but goodie" here at 57. I have had mine since last February. I am not regretting it and yes, I actually do think it makes us look a bit more youthful. I was surprised that it seems I actually have had people flirting with me! LOL! :oops:
They told me I'd be braced for 12-18 months but we shall see.
Initially mine barely hurt but it was hard to eat for quite awhile. Adjustments seemed like a piece of cake UNTIL they added springs and elastics! OUCH. That brought tears to my eyes. But, it got better after a few days of off-on headaches.
Now I have mostly days with no pain or discomfort except for once in awhile when I can tell my teeth have decided to shift (wish we had warning)
and some days when my braces just feel big and annoying like I have a fence in my mouth. You just want to tear them off sometimes.
But, I have taken pictures every few weeks and I look at those often. The difference I see keeps me happy.
Would love to hear more from you both! Its a relief to see some older youngsters here!

Uptown Girl

#7 Post by Uptown Girl »

I'm now 65 (braced at 63) and am planning to get debraced in January. Last visit my ortho said I could have them removed when I wanted but the longer I kept them on the better they would be. They are not perfect but I figure two years and a bit is what I anticipated and it is good enough. Next year when they have settled a bit I am going to have an implant where a lower molar was removed but I'll give myself six months before starting on that.

Welcome puckloo. I have found this forum very useful. I haven't checked it so often lately but when I first started with braces it was daily reading.

DivineMsM

#8 Post by DivineMsM »

Hello!

You make me happy to know I'm not the only one with braces at a mature age! I'm 53 and got my braces three weeks ago. Although I've had two children in braces (not counting my daughter's invisalign), I'm surprised how much additional information I really wanted to know about them now. My youngest son is 15 and near the end of his treatment.

Dianatlol

#9 Post by Dianatlol »

Welcome aboard! I am 42 and second time in braces from TMJD. I am over 2 years in them on the top and starting on the bottoms to bring up molars. :)

DivineMsM

#10 Post by DivineMsM »

I have crowding at the bottom that an orthodontist told me 20 years ago it would only get worse...He was right. I also had a slightly twisted tooth on the top in the front, right next too a tetracycline stain....but it was made very beautiful due to bonding. My general dentist advised me to get the bonding removed prior to getting the braces, I followed instructions. My orthodontist (the same one my 15 year old is seeing) says my treatment plan will be between 8-12 months....hoping to speed it up with propel. I'm going to ask all the propel questions when I'm there on 12/1 and would appreciate any info those that have actually experienced the process. Very happy to have found this forum!

Prometheus

#11 Post by Prometheus »

DivineMsM: Regarding Propel treatment take a look at this recent post: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=51363 The two of us that commented in the thread are both in our 60s and we had similar experiences. -P
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

Virginia

#12 Post by Virginia »

Hi,
Well I am 46 and it is my second time with braces because my tongue displaced my teeth and I have a bi-lateral crossbite. I have metal braces and elastics (and molar build ups). I am only 7 months into my treatment plan and it has been tough - so far the teeth with the elastics are loose. One has a crown on it.

puckloo

#13 Post by puckloo »

Hey everyone! Just coming by to see how things are going with us mature brace people. I am now four months into treatment, on my second wire. I can see changes in my incisors - left one was almost sideways, and now is more facing front. I still have a crazy open bite, but get elastics in January 2017 visit - one month from now. I have noticed that my popping jaw (TMJ) is worse now than before, but am hoping it will settle down at some point. Hasn't been painful previously but sometimes now is very painful if I bite down wrong on something.

I refused to allow four extractions upper and lower bicuspids. I worked HARD for 60 years to keep those teeth... I like them!! Now I sort of feel like the ortho is not pleased with my decision, although I told him it was deal breaker -- and he agreed to proceed anyway. Said he would get a "good" result for me regardless. I am fine with that. However, I feel like if I complain or mention discomfort it will be an 'I told you so' thing and my fault for not permitting all those extractions. I might be projecting. He probably doesn't care -- I just think he would blame me and tell me that if I had gone forward with extractions I didn't want, I would be fine. I am still OK with my decision.

What do you all think? When I said I was willing to walk out and never have any treatment if I was forced to do extractions, they said OK we will do the work anyway. I am over-thinking this, I suspect.

Have a Merry Christmas, all! :HugeGrin:

SandyJ

#14 Post by SandyJ »

Hello All! I'm pleased and encouraged to have found this thread! I'm about to take the plunge and get braces in a few wks (or think I am!) for the first time! I've wanted them for a long time but never had the opportunity....I've been hearing lots of horror stories lately - (waking up at all hrs in a cold sweat - panicy feelings; am I doing the right thing etc etc!).
Guess I'm after reassurance, especially re the pain / complication side of things. I'm almost 52 and I know a lot of people think, why bother at your age!!

puckloo

#15 Post by puckloo »

Hi, Sandy!! Good for you, you won't be sorry, I promise. I put a LOT of thought into having treatment and when I took the plunge, I was pretty nervous. I wasn't very well informed about the process -- it's like everyone assumed I knew what was coming and that I would expect certain things. Nope. I found out that patients our age are often "repeat" braces wearers. I am not. My parents, like so many in my age bracket, could not afford (what wouldn't kill me, didn't get addressed!). I wanted braces all my adult life. Worth every penny. For the first time, ever - both of my front teeth face the front! It's really encouraging to see just that, though I am nowhere near done.

The sooner you get started, the sooner you will be done! :mrgreen:

As for pain, everyone is different, I think. I can honestly say, it's not an issue for me. Once in a great while, I have one tooth here and there be sensitive. Like my left upper incisor when it started turning forward, but it was literally turned sideways -- stands to reason it was tender for a couple of days when it turned almost 45 degrees. Any discomfort goes away in a day or so, or did for me and I am older than you!

Why bother at your age? Because you deserve this, and I am very proud of you! Keep smiling!!!