Hello I am new

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LisainTX

Hello I am new

#1 Post by LisainTX »

Hi, I am Lisa in Texas! I am so glad I found this message board!
I got top/bottom braces almost 4 weeks ago after having 4 teeth pulled to make room. My dentist had been talking to me about braces for years and at age 56 I finally said....well, I'm going for it!
So far no pain but I am praying that I get used to these things soon. I think it will help after the teeth begin to shift to fill the 4 holes where the others were pulled.
I try not to think about 18-24 months of this.
Any encouragement is more than welcome!!!

Does this get better as far as feeling less like I have an entire fence in my mouth??
Will I stop biting my lip by accident because I am chewing like I just learned to eat?
Will I smile without putting my hand up to cover my mouth so this "fence" isn't hanging out all over the place?!?! :crazy:

MummaFish48

Re: Hello I am new

#2 Post by MummaFish48 »

Hi....I am due to get braces in 4 weeks aged 53!! I therefore have no advice to offer I am afraid, but I am sure plenty of people will. This site is invaluable for airing your fears and anxieties and getting positive and honest feedback....Good Luck on that journey and well done for the first 4 weeks....

loridee76

#3 Post by loridee76 »

Hi Lisa!
I am Lori from Texas :)
I am scheduled in 3 weeks for my consult and impressions. Excited yet nervous.
Welcome!

LORI

KayKay

#4 Post by KayKay »

Hi Lisa!

Welcome! You won't regret your decision to get braces - even as you head towards 60. :)

My theory about making changes in my life: Next year I will be 60 anyway - I might as well have straight teeth too. :)

The time will speed by - in pieces. I'm often obsessed with my teeth and I take a tons of photos of my teeth that no one else will ever see - but its been a way for me to document the changes. I'm so excited about the way my teeth look - as I can "see" them without the braces - by looking past the braces to my beautiful straight teeth.

My tips:

Get a water pik. Everytime you brush your teeth, use it. Warm water. Set about 3 and then as you adjust through the upcoming weeks, move the dial up. Finally you will be water pik -ing at 10 and have great hygiene that the dentist will admire. :)

Take this time to change the way you eat. Processed foods gets all stuff-ed up in my wires/brackets. I lost between 15 and 20 pounds that I've managed to keep off - and its been over 18 months.

Document your journey. Write about your appointments, your disappointments, your questions, your victories in your Braces Story forum or keep it in a private journal. Either way, when you are discouraged, you can go back and read - and remind yourself how far you've come!

Congrats on your decision for braces and keep us posted on your progress!
Looking forward to the new smile,
KayKay

Bracesat57

#5 Post by Bracesat57 »

Congratulations Lisa in Texas!
As you can tell by my name I got braces at 57. I am now 59 and my braces are coming off in two weeks. :jump: I can't even tell you how happy I am with my decision to get braces as an older adult. The time really did fly by. What is amazing is how fast they move the first several months.
We all have that wake up call and then decide to take the plunge and finally do something about our crooked teeth.

As far as your concerns go:
Yes, it takes a few weeks for you to adjust to having a "fence" in your mouth. Believe it or not but at some point you will forget that you even have braces on!
Eating gets better. Trial and error on what you can eat depending on if you just had an adjustment with possible wire changes. You will learn what foods you can pull apart with your teeth as opposed to having to bite into.
Stop putting your hand on your mouth when you smile. You actually bring more attention to your mouth that way. Wear your braces proudly. You are doing something "good"for yourself. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.
A water pic if a must buy item. I could not believe all the food particles that can get trapped in your braces that brushing can't get to. Small interdental brushes are very handy to have in your purse for when you can't get to your water pic.
Good luck. Keep in touch. Things will be just fine!

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

LisainTX

#6 Post by LisainTX »

Thanks so much everyone!! Sorry for the late response. I will most definitely go and get that waterpick per your advice. I had bought a Sonicare toothbrush a few days before getting the braces and I LOVE it. Should have had one long before now.
Thanks for the advice and inspiration you provide.
I am going for my second adjustment tomorrow morning and can't wait. I love the staff at the place I go and the technician I like so much there has me flagged so that she is the one that works on me each time. I asked for that because she is funny and really pays a lot of attention to what she is doing.
Its funny that everyone says those adjustments hurt so to take ibuprofen before going and definitely after. I took some pre-visit last time and afterwards expected pain....but nothing. I went to work and was fine all day long. Never had to take a thing!
I am so excited because my bottom teeth have straightened out across the front and two teeth on the sides that used to slant inwards are now standing up straight!
Like one of you said - I take so many pictures of my teeth that its crazy. LOL! I have a file in my iPhone called "Braces Adventure".
I am going to figure out how to do those cute timelines you all make. Must have one! I need to find out how to blog too so I can share my progress.
To the lady that got hers off a few weeks ago.....CONGRATULATIONS!!! Tell us about it!! :dance:

LisainTX

#7 Post by LisainTX »

Look! I got a ticker!!

pjade1

#8 Post by pjade1 »

Good luck with your braces. I am 54 now and got my braces on at 52. I should be getting them off next year in January, I hope. How long is your sentence? I hope not as long as mine. We do have some over 50 and 60 yr old people on this forum and I though I was too old.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

ukcruiser2

#9 Post by ukcruiser2 »

Yeah,I had my brace fitted 2 days after my 59th birthday :D

Prometheus

#10 Post by Prometheus »

I'll be 60 in two weeks. The way things are going I will be lucky if they are off by the time I'm 62...
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

LisainTX

#11 Post by LisainTX »

Hello Again!
It's been just over 16 months since I wrote this first post and wow....thank you to those who encouraged me. Are you still here?
The waterpic advice - best advice ever!
Telling me that I'd forget I had braces in my mouth and learn to eat again....all true! And I proudly smile with my braces too. Especially when I have a new color on them!
Thanks! They seem to think I have just a few more months to go so I am hoping that maybe I will get my braces off before the holidays.
If I don't....I think I'll just decorate my grill. :D

SinkFullOfDinner

#12 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

LisainTX wrote:They seem to think I have just a few more months to go so I am hoping that maybe I will get my braces off before the holidays.
So, how's that holiday goal looking?! Almost there, or more likely to have red and green colors to go along with the tinsel?