Getting braces on Wednesday. 41 yes old.

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tb41nTX

Getting braces on Wednesday. 41 yes old.

#1 Post by tb41nTX »

I am excited and nervous about getting braces on Wednesday. I have been wanting this since I was a teen. Finally decided to go for it! Our daughter is getting them too so that helped me make the jump as well.

I haven't read a lot about experiences mainly for the reason of not getting nervous. I believe I am getting Clarity on top and bottom but for some reason cannot decide. As an adult, I feel like clarity is better than metal.

I have been told my treatment will be 12 to 15 months.

Ready to get started!

30yearoldbraceface

Re: Getting braces on Wednesday. 41 yes old.

#2 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

Good luck! I am 30 and got my braces 3 weeks ago - ceramic on top and bottom teeth :) best decision I've ever made - can't wait to have a lovely smile!

PhDGuy

#3 Post by PhDGuy »

Good luck tomorrow! I can totally understand your excitement as well as nervousness as this is a completely new territory you are about to venture in to. I remember going through those exact same emotions a few weeks ago when I got my braces put on at 34. And unlike you, I have all metal because my orthodontist only offers all metal when it comes to self ligating brackets.

12-15 months will go fast! I was provided an 18 month treatment time as an estimate and I am already one month in to it. It feels like I got them on yesterday. Time flies!

Also, make sure you are well prepared. Stock up on soft foods - yoghurt, pudding, non-chunky soups, etc. Have a good meal and take a couple of ibuprofens before you go and keep in mind that flossing will take 10 times longer initially, so if you can, buy a Waterpik as it will be a lot easier than flossing initially.

Top and Bottom Damon 3MX Braces put on 4/13/2015

tb41nTX

Re: Getting braces on Wednesday. 41 years old.

#4 Post by tb41nTX »

Thanks for the advice on the foods. I will be sure to be prepared. The office hasn't said anything to me at all about pain meds or soft foods. Am guessing they will at the appointment tomorrow. The only way I have been finding out more on the daily details is this site.

I will go with clarity brackets as I think it will be better for me as I haven't really told hardly anyone.

I usually do tons of research about things before I do them but this time I am just going with the flow. Maybe it is because I didn't want to talk myself out of having pretty, straight teeth!

From what I can tell there seems to be more pain for the older individuals versus teens/kids.

Fortunately, I already own a waterpik and use it almost daily. I think that will help out tremendously based on what I have read on here already.

Thanks for the support and advice!

T
:D

PhDGuy

#5 Post by PhDGuy »

tb41nTX wrote:Thanks for the advice on the foods. I will be sure to be prepared. The office hasn't said anything to me at all about pain meds or soft foods. Am guessing they will at the appointment tomorrow. The only way I have been finding out more on the daily details is this site.

I will go with clarity brackets as I think it will be better for me as I haven't really told hardly anyone.

I usually do tons of research about things before I do them but this time I am just going with the flow. Maybe it is because I didn't want to talk myself out of having pretty, straight teeth!

From what I can tell there seems to be more pain for the older individuals versus teens/kids.

Fortunately, I already own a waterpik and use it almost daily. I think that will help out tremendously based on what I have read on here already.

T
:D
Sure, no problem! Feel free to ask away if you have any questions.

I can imagine kids being more resilient compared with us older folk. For me personally, the first two to three weeks were quite rough, mostly because of all the canker sores that randomly showed up all over my mouth. Also, I have a fairly deep bite, so I had to get bite ramps on my bottom first molars to prevent me from biting my bottom brackets off. They do make it very difficult to chew. The bite ramps are also to re-train my jaw so that the relaxed position for my jaw is different from what it has been in the past, i.e., open up my bite and that caused a lot of soreness along my jaw and my TMJ joint. Fortunately, somewhere between that second and third week, things dramatically improved and its a LOT more comfortable having braces now. Bottomline, even if you were to experience moderate amount of discomfort, you will get over it fairly quickly. Good luck tomorrow!

30yearoldbraceface

#6 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

I'm 3 weeks in and honestly I can say there hasn't been much pain for me - I would call it discomfort rather than pain. The absolute worst pain so far was the 2 weeks before my braces when I had to wear those dreaded spacers between my molars - agony is an understatement lol!

Good luck for today and don't worry it is not painful at all, just feel a bit of pressure, but like the comment before me take an ibuprofen before hand and it will be a breeze, and eat a nice big meal before you go or as soon after as you can, as your teeth will most likely after a few hours be too tender to eat much :)

Oh and don't forget to post progress pictures as the months go by :)

PhDGuy

#7 Post by PhDGuy »

30yearoldbraceface wrote:I'm 3 weeks in and honestly I can say there hasn't been much pain for me - I would call it discomfort rather than pain. The absolute worst pain so far was the 2 weeks before my braces when I had to wear those dreaded spacers between my molars - agony is an understatement lol!

Good luck for today and don't worry it is not painful at all, just feel a bit of pressure, but like the comment before me take an ibuprofen before hand and it will be a breeze, and eat a nice big meal before you go or as soon after as you can, as your teeth will most likely after a few hours be too tender to eat much :)

Oh and don't forget to post progress pictures as the months go by :)
I agree with you! I don't think anything compares with the nuisance of spacers. I had to get metal spacers because the rubber ones just kept breaking when they tried to put them in. I have to say, those metal spacers are something else! I had canker sores on my tongue on both sides from those spacers and then the spacers poked holes in those canker sores :-=. By far the most painful braces related experience so far.

30yearoldbraceface

#8 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

Oh shame PhDGuy!!! I was counting down the seconds to get mine out... I can only imagine how you were feeling! think you had it way worse than me! Haha shame, well least it's in the past now - bring on those beautiful pearly whites! :tingrin: no pain, no gain as they say :mrgreen:

PhDGuy

#9 Post by PhDGuy »

30yearoldbraceface wrote:Oh shame PhDGuy!!! I was counting down the seconds to get mine out... I can only imagine how you were feeling! think you had it way worse than me! Haha shame, well least it's in the past now - bring on those beautiful pearly whites! :tingrin: no pain, no gain as they say :mrgreen:
Right on 30yearoldbraceface! I was also counting down the seconds to get mine out but I got a double whammy! I had to get those spacers twice back to back and I feel like I had it way worse than most people getting spacers on here. Oh well, it's in the past as you pointed out, and one does have to suffer a bit for the outcome. Now let's bring on some major improvements to our smiles!

VCLX

#10 Post by VCLX »

[quote="tb41nTX"]Thanks for the advice on the foods. I will be sure to be prepared. The office hasn't said anything to me at all about pain meds or soft foods. Am guessing they will at the appointment tomorrow. The only way I have been finding out more on the daily details is this site.

T
:D[/quote]

Good luck! I just got my lower brackets today! Uppers will be put in a couple of months! By the way, I'm 42. By the way, there were about 4 - 5 adult patients waiting to have their braces adjustment done. So, we're not alone. :) Regards from Mexico.

Lauradarlin

#11 Post by Lauradarlin »

I just got mine on Monday, I'm 33...so far so good, a little odd and I haven't tried to chew anything yet!