Braces and Weight Watchers

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BetsyBug

Re: Braces and Weight Watchers

#16 Post by BetsyBug »

I'm looking at the start of my braces journey as a good weight loss tool as well.... the ortho has sentenced me with bite turbos to open my bite so as far as I can tell from what he said, I'm not going to be able to chew for quite some time..... LOL. I'm picturing me mauling my food with my tongue when I get to the point where I "have to have" something solid...LOL.
For the next few weeks I've given myself permission to eat every chewy food out there because I suspect that I will be on a soup and smoothie diet for a little while... :)

staje

#17 Post by staje »

Thanks for mentioning the chili, one of the most difficult things is figuring out what to eat when I'm away from home. I am becoming quite the soup chef and learning how easy it is to eat a ton of veggies as soup. My current favorite is curried butternut squash and tonight I made up a batch of roasted cauliflower soup for tomorrow. I made couple of soups from the WW recipes, however I've been happier with the ones I've found on allrecipes. This week I'm trying soups from www.elanaspantry.com so in addition to cauliflower I'm going to try a broccoli soup and one with greens. I've also started throwing a handful of spinach in my smoothie and I really can't detect the taste.

Since getting this dumb expander installed I've lost about ten pounds so it is definitely helping! Though I have noticed a tendency to add naughty foods as time goes on.

leadcat63

#18 Post by leadcat63 »

I had a Tomato Florentine soup that was fantastic about a week or so ago, unfortunately it was in the hospital's cafeteria (where I work) and there's no telling what day they will have it again. I'm trying to hunt down a recipe for it on allrecipes, but I have to admit that I'm not the best cook, so it has to be foolproof. If you happen to have or run across one for this soup that you've road tested I would be ever so greatful for the recipe.

yogapaws

#19 Post by yogapaws »

Hi-
After week 3 (now entering week 7) I was able to eat brussel sprouts & artichoke hears!
Just have to cook a little longer than usual & then cut/shred. Tossed with some tarragon, sea salt & olive oil.
I am also eating carrot ginger soup, mashed peas w/black lentils & brown rice.
Baking apples & pears.

Using coffee grinder for walnuts, almonds to add to soups, yogart & oatmeal for additional protein.

scully

#20 Post by scully »

Bite blocks here, too...

Right now, I can pretty much just eat liquids, soft things, etc. I just made a really tasty beef and veggie soup with tomato juice, tomato paste, crushed tomato (I like tomato stuff, okay? :P) browned ground beef, carrots, peas, celery, and lima beans. I'm trying to get good nutrition despite the bite blocks, which is really hard to do when all I want is ice cream and mashed potatoes... :(

I'm sure I will lose 10 pounds a week on the new ortho approved "bite block diet"! hahahahahaha!!! My mouth hurts so bad I don't even want to eat. And even if I did, I can't chew!

Mulder: Did you bring enough ice cream to share with the rest of the class?
Scully: It's not ice cream... it's non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle.
Mulder: Ugh... I bet the air in my mouth tastes better than that.

scully

#21 Post by scully »

leadcat63 wrote:I had a Tomato Florentine soup that was fantastic about a week or so ago, unfortunately it was in the hospital's cafeteria (where I work) and there's no telling what day they will have it again. I'm trying to hunt down a recipe for it on allrecipes, but I have to admit that I'm not the best cook, so it has to be foolproof. If you happen to have or run across one for this soup that you've road tested I would be ever so greatful for the recipe.

here is a recipe I have used before that is pretty simple... I recommend serving it with the slightest splash of cream.

1 med. onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 (1 lb.) cans tomatoes
2 (1 lb.) cans tomato sauce
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf
1 bunch fresh spinach, washed & chopped (finely if you have lots of hardware)
Salt & pepper to taste

Saute onion and garlic in large kettle in olive oil. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices. Simmer about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Add spinach. Makes about 6 (2 cup) servings.

yogapaws

#22 Post by yogapaws »

I use to work in/with hospitals & loved the cafeteria soups.... and soft serve yogart. The workplace cafeteria I have access to serves mostly burgers & huge sandwiches-once again an issue since lunch is 30 minutes - 40 at most (hate being on the clock) & cutting/chewing/post lunch oral hygiene must be accomplished in that small amount of time. Still taking carrot-ginger soup, applesauce, yogart and/or smoothie with almond milk, greek yogart, banana & almond butter.

Also-discovered Trader Joes's reduced guilt mac n cheese is good. Also TJ's lentils w/brown rice & avocados in broth. Still down about 12 lbs-mostly because I get tired of chewing and don't want to repeat oral hygiene routine just for a night time/tv snack.

Ate half a chicken burrito at lunch with family yesterday & 1/2 bottle of Corona light :D . My 5 year old grandson is very watchful and vocal ("those things are creepy") about my mouth.

Today I am mixing some tuna with lemon/cilantro hummus (purchased at Fresh & Easy) & mixed with steamed chopped spinach.

I still can't seem to drink wine (sob). I think the metal affects the taste.... Has any of you adult red wine lovers experienced this?

scully

#23 Post by scully »

yogapaws wrote:I use to work in/with hospitals & loved the cafeteria soups.... and soft serve yogart. The workplace cafeteria I have access to serves mostly burgers & huge sandwiches-once again an issue since lunch is 30 minutes - 40 at most (hate being on the clock) & cutting/chewing/post lunch oral hygiene must be accomplished in that small amount of time. Still taking carrot-ginger soup, applesauce, yogart and/or smoothie with almond milk, greek yogart, banana & almond butter.

Also-discovered Trader Joes's reduced guilt mac n cheese is good. Also TJ's lentils w/brown rice & avocados in broth. Still down about 12 lbs-mostly because I get tired of chewing and don't want to repeat oral hygiene routine just for a night time/tv snack.

Ate half a chicken burrito at lunch with family yesterday & 1/2 bottle of Corona light :D . My 5 year old grandson is very watchful and vocal ("those things are creepy") about my mouth.

Today I am mixing some tuna with lemon/cilantro hummus (purchased at Fresh & Easy) & mixed with steamed chopped spinach.

I still can't seem to drink wine (sob). I think the metal affects the taste.... Has any of you adult red wine lovers experienced this?

I haven't noticed a change in the taste of wine specifically, but since I've had my bite block, I've noticed I can't taste anything as well as I used to. I think this is partly due to me not being able to properly chew my food and taste it, but also due to the fact that the block rubs against my tongue and makes it pretty sore... (my tongue didn't have much room in my mouth pre-bite block either) Even after having it over a month, my tongue still hurts. I think all that abrasion is killing my taste buds, at any rate... Oh well?