Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kittykins

#1 Post by Kittykins »

Hello people :D New to the whole metal in the mouth thing.
Not sure what to write so bit of background I suppose on the whole brace thing :)
18, got braces on Tuesday Afternoon (9/11/10). Decided on Green bands :D Experience alot of aching till Friday (12/11/10) Not sure if that is a normal time for them to be aching till? Still can't chew though, but am managing to eat by eating chips covered in Baked beans and then cutting them up and mashing them in my mouth with my tounge. Anyone else used this amusing technique?
Not got next appointment till December 21st for tightening. Hoping this doesn't mean I can't eat Christmas Day. What is average non-chew time after tightening? :S

11/11/10 - Got Braces (Top and Bottom) - Green Ligs
21/12/10 - First Adjustment - Bright Pink Ligs
01/02/11 - Second Adjustment - New Wire - Bright Blue Ligs
15/03/11 - Got Elastics 6.4mm to twist twice on both sides
10/05/11 - Got Power Chains and elastics both sides
21/06/11 - Power Chains on bottom, elastics on right hand side

BraceFace2o1o

Re: Newbie

#2 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Hi and welcome! :D

Congrats on starting your journey

I wont be far behind you, braces are fitted on Thursday. I keep hoping that I'll still be able to enjoy all that lovely food at Christmas! I just love mums Christmas dinner ;)
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

fleur26

#3 Post by fleur26 »

heya kittikins and welcome. yes i am using the mushing method for eating. i try not to eat in front of anyone if i can i im embarrased. but im sure we look okay really hehe :oops:

Kittykins

#4 Post by Kittykins »

Chrystal Hi! And I agree with the whole Christmas thing! I don't fancy missing out on the Roast Tatties myself :L

fleur26 Ah thank god not the only one :D Well I did try eating in the mirror, I seem to have a real look of concentration when eating. Tis amusing :D

NervousNewbie

#5 Post by NervousNewbie »

Kittykins wrote:Not got next appointment till December 21st for tightening. Hoping this doesn't mean I can't eat Christmas Day. What is average non-chew time after tightening? :S
Hi! I had my adjustment on 11/8 and could chew at about 80% normalcy within three days... and by today I'm at 95% normalcy. I still have some soreness in some teeth but it's really not that bad... I'm just careful how I chew. :)

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

sadpanda

#6 Post by sadpanda »

Everyone is different, so it's difficult to tell if you'll be able to eat well for the holidays. I'm one of those lucky people because after my adjustments, my teeth don't really hurt. I've been able to eat almost everything. I hope you experience the same! The only pain I have nearly all the time is from the metal poking and scraping the insides of my mouth (even though it's been months), but there's not much I can do about that, especially when eating.

Kittykins

#7 Post by Kittykins »

NervousNewbie Well hopefully going by the time and percentage of "normality" mouth wise you gave, if I use it as a sort of idea then I should imagine I'll be ok :D But you certainly have given me an idea of it :D

sadpanda :o You are indeed lucky, I sure wouldn't mind luck like that toothy wise XD Ah yes, metal pokiness. I've used so much wax with just covering the hooks that seem to be on the canine brackets (Which going to ask if they are needed when it comes to my adjustment). But last night got away with not using any :o

Kittykins

#8 Post by Kittykins »

So my braces are 3 weeks old today. Am really surprised that my teeth have actually moved slightly, because now I have a gap in my two front teeth that has appeared over the last 3 days. It's real strange but then at the same time, satisfying to know they are on the move :D Hopefully won't be in braces for as long as anticipated if they keep going at this rate :D

RunningMad

#9 Post by RunningMad »

Good that you can see movement so quickly. Wish I could as I've got gaps top and bottom from extractions so dying for the gaps to close quickly. Going to take a picture each month so I can compare & contrast. I was told the gaps would close in 2 months so should be half closed by christmas :wink:

I feel like I have barbed wire in my mouth but don't think they're rubbing as much as they were and the chewing is definately getting easier. Haven't taken any tablets since yesterday morning :lol:

1st adjustment: 11th January 2011

Uppers & Lower metal braces: 23rd November 2010 for 2 years

Kittykins

#10 Post by Kittykins »

I have a gap top and bottom (from extractions) also that needs to be filled with teeth. Both gaps are on the left side of my mouth as well so I have to chew to one side as not to bend the wire. Which is lucikly now turned into a habit, but sometime would prefer to use the teeth on the other side XD Your really lucky then to not have taken any tablets :D Then again I find when it comes to things rubbing to much, I just wax them before I go to bed :)

Kittykins

#11 Post by Kittykins »

So I promised to update :D
I had my first adjustment today :D Went quite well, wasn't as bad as I was expecting which is good :D
I had 2 brackets replaced. One due to it wasn't in the correct position so she took it off and put another on. As for the second one...urgh! She was trying to tighten a wire that goes across a gap, as she was tightening (which hurt coz I could feel it pulling :() and then ping. Off it came. So she had to scrap the glue off (teeth on edge much? Yes) and put a new one back on. Must say it felt strange not having wires in my mouth for those few moments XD But now I have a slightly thicker wire and have bright pink ligitures and they look quite nice :) Very pleased and looking forward to seeing how much change will happen in the next 6 weeks. But till then, time to get through Christmas Lunch on Saturday XD I hope my mouth is better by then :/

Kittykins

#12 Post by Kittykins »

Update again :D
I had my second adjustment today :D Thought it was going to go terribly wrong as I am full of cold and had a massive coughing fit like 5 minutes before hand :o Luckily though got in there, sat down. First I questioned about my midline on the top being off, she said it was normal to notice little things like that. But then we I lay down and she had a proper look she is thinking otherwise. Well she took the wires and ligs off anyways :D Then put some slighter thickers ones on :D I decided to go with a light blue ligatures this time :D But we have discussed the whole midline problem and we decided later on down the line if elastics don't bring it into line that I could have to have 2 more teeth removed to make room -,- She has said she will look at my case study to see :/ But hoping at next adjustment to know more :) Weirdly enough pain wise isn't too bad :) Just a tad sensitive, although I had a glass of milk and it seemed to make the wire contract XD Strange times :L

loradora

#13 Post by loradora »

I don't have a photo before the extraction because of crowding, but this is a photo taken on the day I was braced - 3/17/10

This is a photo taken 2/1/11. I'll find out next week when the braces will come off. He wants to give me retainers for both top and bottom.

Kittykins

#14 Post by Kittykins »

Woah, they come together quite nicely :D I like the ligs :D Nice colour combination :D

Kittykins

#15 Post by Kittykins »

Update time :/ Today I went for what I thought would be my 3rd adjustment. To be disappointed to find out I wasn't going to get some new brightly coloured ligs but instead was getting some disgusting elastics which I have to wear 24/7 and only take out and replace once a day when I brush my teeth :( Then have attached one to my lower canine then it's hooked on the top molar on the left hand side. Then on the right I have it attached to the top canine and it's hooked to the bottom molar. It is such pain! I read elastics were bad, but this is awful! I wished I had a normal adjustment :( I wanted Red Ligs. I hope this ache goes away soon :(
Last edited by Kittykins on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.