Braces at 46, first time ever. YIKES!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Marigold

Braces at 46, first time ever. YIKES!

#1 Post by Marigold »

Hi everyone,

I'm 46 and never had braces before. I always thought my teeth were relatively straight except for a crooked molar in back. About 4 years ago my dentist had to patch some chips on my front teeth. He told me that my front teeth are very thin because my upper teeth impinge inward and they're sliding against my bottom teeth. He suggested I consider orthodontia. At first I blew him off. Braces at MY age?! Plus my insurance doesn't cover orthodontia for adults. But after a few more years of dental appointments and more patchwork to my front teeth, I started to take my dentist seriously. I often bang my teeth together while chewing. I have to wear a bite guard at night. I have a clicking jaw. I have a small mouth and flossing is a nightmare. Often I get tongue-tied and have trouble forming words starting with an S because my teeth seem to get in the way. People have even made fun of me for it. I never really thought about the reasons for all this before.

I went to some orthodontist consults and learned that my bite is off. I wish I could remember all the technical terms. I finally chose an orthodontist, and in January I'm taking the plunge! He showed me on the computer how braces will bring my teeth forward and make my upper lip more pronounced. He joked that it will save me money on botox. While I've never tried botox, I have thought about lip fillers because my upper lip looks so shrunken. I never thought it was because of my bite! Of course I'm also hoping it will save my front teeth from wearing away.

I'm still dreading the idea of wearing braces at my age. But it's nice to know there are others in the same boat. This site has lots of helpful info. Looking forward to getting to know all of you and learning more. I'm still a little freaked out. :crazy:

Sandpiper

Re: Braces at 46, first time ever. YIKES!

#2 Post by Sandpiper »

Go for it, Marigold!! I'm 43 with braces, and whilst I will grant you it is not the ideal "look", I am very encouraged by the improvement in the alignment of my teeth. I should finish my treatment during 2011, and it was quite exciting getting my new 2011 diary, flicking through it, and wondering which day next autumn/winter I might be free!!!

I;m sure you won't regret the decision, and I look forward to following your progress!
471 days in braces

[/url]

Marigold

#3 Post by Marigold »

Thanks Sandpiper. It's great to hear that you are getting good results!

goin4it

#4 Post by goin4it »

I also blew off the thought of getting braces at my age, but after grinding out my teeth and needing a night guard I said what the heck and went for the Orthodontist consultation. It's so nice to know that I am not alone. :jump:
It went awesome and I get mine on Jan 11.

VancouverJude

#5 Post by VancouverJude »

Hi Marigold & goin4 it

Can't think of a better time to get braces than right at the start of the year! Good luck to you both.

I like to think wearing braces makes people look younger <bonus.>

BWB

#6 Post by BWB »

Better late than never! Good luck.

Marigold

#7 Post by Marigold »

Vancouver, BWB, Goin4it:
Even today I had a moment of doubt. Do I really want to go thru 2 years of this craziness and all the expense? Reading these replies has really helped to reassure me. Goin4it, my appt is a week after yours! Hope you will post your experience.

Oh man, I sure hope they make me look younger. :D

goin4it

#8 Post by goin4it »

Marigold wrote:Vancouver, BWB, Goin4it:
Even today I had a moment of doubt. Do I really want to go thru 2 years of this craziness and all the expense? Reading these replies has really helped to reassure me. Goin4it, my appt is a week after yours! Hope you will post your experience.

Oh man, I sure hope they make me look younger. :D

I know what you mean Marigold.
I think the waiting is worse than just getting it done and over with. I too still get the What am I doing days. :crazy:

This forum has really helped me decide to go for it. I am sure you won't look a day over 30 maybe even less, :thumbsup: but its all mind over matter. If you don't mind...it dont matter. :wink: People usually guess my age almost 10 years lower as I have a younger office anyways so thats not an issue for me`but I do understand.

I am going to try and post the progress.

rhomboid

#9 Post by rhomboid »

It's good for you that you had the guts to make the decision. Don't over think the whole situation, every day that you delay is a mistake; I wish that I had done mine years earlier, but am glad I did it when I did and In am older than you. It's really not that bad and very rewarding.

sjeanine

#10 Post by sjeanine »

Age 54 here and just had ceramics put on my upper and lowers. I already posted this to several other replies I made so just wanted to make this brief but, it's nice to have found a forum and to know other adults are making the same decision that I did! My daughter and sister both think I am crazy for doing it at my age but, hey, if it's helping to improve my bite...why does age matter??? Take care and lets all stay in touch with progress! ; )
sjeanine

GRILLZ

#11 Post by GRILLZ »

i'm 53 and going to be braced for the first time on 1-10-11!! i have an open bite and my bit is quite misaligned and so i've had significant wear and pain. my teeth don't look bad, imho but the problems it has caused me...i already have had 4 crowns and 3 root canals and this time when i needed more crowns my dentist insisted i go for an ortho consult....it took me a year before i finally listened to him.....but i finally did when both he and his partner meet w/ me and both prevailed upon me that things would just get worse and i would have to be getting more and more crowns and root canals and that my bite would continue to deteriorate. it's already difficult for me to eat alot of crisp things, including vegetables....fruits which i do want to be able to eat.....so i hope this will help me.

sjeanine

#12 Post by sjeanine »

[quote="GRILLZ"]i'm 53 and going to be braced for the first time on 1-10-11!! i have an open bite and my bit is quite misaligned and so i've had significant wear and pain. my teeth don't look bad, imho but the problems it has caused me...i already have had 4 crowns and 3 root canals and this time when i needed more crowns my dentist insisted i go for an ortho consult....it took me a year before i finally listened to him.....but i finally did when both he and his partner meet w/ me and both prevailed upon me that things would just get worse and i would have to be getting more and more crowns and root canals and that my bite would continue to deteriorate. it's already difficult for me to eat alot of crisp things, including vegetables....fruits which i do want to be able to eat.....so i hope this will help me.[/quote]

Hi again Grillz...
I have also had extensive work done on my teeth over the years so I feel your pain! I lost track of which teeth are crowned but if it isnt crowned, it's got a filling in it....or a root canal... in my mouth! lol I actually thought that braces wouldnt work on crowns but I guess they are hoping things work out for me. When they were putting mine on though, one crown fell off and had to be glued back on....

Kittywalker3

#13 Post by Kittywalker3 »

I waited so long till after my kids were grown. And I have a flex spending account at work so even though dental doesn't cover adult orthodontia I at least get the funds to use tax free! I just put the yearly payments into the spending account and they are deducted from my payroll. Then the office collects their payment. Couldn't be easier.

Of course that has been the least difficult part of this whole process. The older you are the more work required to prep for braces it seems.

GRILLZ

#14 Post by GRILLZ »

When they were putting mine on though, one crown fell off and had to be glued back on....
:( i was afraid that stuff like that might happen, but it shouldn't be any surprise, i guess....i have crowns on all 4 of my biggest molars in the back of my mouth and i'm wondering what that is going to be like trying to get the braces on.....oh well, best not to think about that.

i like the idea that ppl will think i'm younger because of the braces? 16 maybe? :D

loradora

#15 Post by loradora »

GRILLZ wrote:
When they were putting mine on though, one crown fell off and had to be glued back on....
:( i was afraid that stuff like that might happen, but it shouldn't be any surprise, i guess....i have crowns on all 4 of my biggest molars in the back of my mouth and i'm wondering what that is going to be like trying to get the braces on.....oh well, best not to think about that.

i like the idea that ppl will think i'm younger because of the braces? 16 maybe? :D
:wink: I have a few crowns on my molars also and they did not put brackets on them. I suppose it depends what your issues are.