New & Oh-So Nervous..

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

agd2005

New & Oh-So Nervous..

#1 Post by agd2005 »

Hello all!

I'm a 22 y/o female from Manitoba, Canada aand.. today I got braces. My main reason for getting them was cosmetic, so originally I was going to go the cosmetic dentistry route and just get veneers stuck on to cover up the crooked spots. However, after discussing it with my dentist (who also happens to be my boss... wow, working at a dental office has it's perks!) he told me that my bite is off and that my gum is receeding slightly, either from brushing too roughly or from the face that my teeth keep hitting together (something along those lines at least.. I'm not going to lie, my mind definitely wandered to a vision of me with a toothless mouth as soon as I heard the word 'receeding').

I have never been so nervous (socially) in my entire life. My close friends (upon bringing this subject to their attention) have been nothing but supportive, the majority of them having gone through ortho treatment at one time or another in their lives. However, I'm nervous about introducing my new smile to the friends that I'm not as close with, and even more nervous about showing it to the guy that I'm seeing right now. We've only been dating for around two months, so it's really the make or break time. While I realize that if he loses interest over something as petty as me getting braces he obviously isn't worth it, it still makes me a bit nervous. We're seeing eachother this coming Thursday (which gives me two days to get used to the braces on my own), so we'll see what happens. If he doesn't end up minding them (liking them, even?), that'll open up a whole new drawer of questions that I'll have to ask you more experienced braces-wearers :)

Very much looking forward to meeting you all!

Luella

#2 Post by Luella »

You're going to love it here!!! I'm excited for you getting your braces! I've had mine for a couple of weeks, and I'm 90% used to them! The 10% I'm not used to them is just diet- I have to avoid some stuff, obviously, and I have to eat slower, and I am not used to brushing 4 or 5 times a day! I hope you can get some pics posted soon! And, about that boy, I'm sure he'll be fine with it, and if he's not- poo on him! My husband had never kissed a girl with braces before- so we felt like 14 year olds sharing a first kiss! It was too funny! And I meet new people every day at my office, and no one has said anything about them! (although I'm sure they notice!!!) See you around!
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

OhNicole

#3 Post by OhNicole »

Welcome from another ArchWired newbie! :wink: My braces go on in two weeks so I envy that you already have yours. Congratulations on making the decision to make yourself happy!

Nikki

shoezy

#4 Post by shoezy »

Hi agd2005,
Warm Welcome!
Good luck tomorrow hun - shoot few stars your direction, make a wish :wink:

-S

----------
braces on: Feb 2005
braces off: Nov 2008

agd2005

#5 Post by agd2005 »

Thank you so much for the lovely welcomes! I`m now on my second day with braces and while I`m not completely used to them yet, it`s starting to get easier! AND on the plus side, I dropped into my ortho today with a question and the asistant who was working on me said that she was already noticing some change in my teeth! Then my boss (a dentist) told me that he noticed some change already too. Hurray! I`ll be in Invialign in no time! (hopefully!)

OhNicole

#6 Post by OhNicole »

Congrats on your early progress and now I see you do have your own thread here :oops:
~Nikki~
23 year old brace face and proud of it!

My story is well under way! Follow along in my thread.

jenny101101

#7 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi agd2005,

Welcome to AW :-1 from one Canadian to another! Glad to hear it's going well so far. Are you planning on switching to invisalign? How'd your boyfriend like your braces? Good luck!
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

agd2005

#8 Post by agd2005 »

Ooh another Canadian! Thats exciting! :) Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, my ortho told me that he wanted to put me in ceramic braces for a bit (9 months max) before switching me over to Invisalign. And besides a few jokes over the fact that I now look like I'm fifteen (despite being 22!), the guy I'm seeing didn't mind the new look :) So, you've had your tops on for over three months now, thats exciting! Noticing any changes?

Braced since June 3rd, 2008

jenny101101

#9 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi agd2005,

Glad to hear your BF likes your braces! :D

Yes, I've notice quite a few changes and it's exciting! I have a thread here viewtopic.php?t=24512 if you wanna check it out. There are pics on almost every page. Since I had my uppers and lowers place 6 weeks apart I have pics of each arch seperately as I reach a new month.

I love when someone tells me my braces make me look younger!! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.