Implants after Braces- Bone grafting question...

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emmazzy

Implants after Braces- Bone grafting question...

#1 Post by emmazzy »

Hello, this is my first post. I am twenty-six, healthy gums, metal braces. After they are removed, I have to get two lower molar implants. I have an appointment next month with an oral surgeon about bonegrafting, the two places where I need the implants has little bone left since I havent had a tooth there in years. My orthodontist mentioned today that there may be a possibility that instead of using bone and gum elsewhere they could use a substance that is just as effective. Has anyone had this type of grafting done? If so, have they had any issues? Thank you.

vlamb13

Re: Implants after Braces- Bone grafting question...

#2 Post by vlamb13 »

I had 3 teeth recently extracted, they did bone grafts just in case I decided to get implants. The reason for my extractions was to create the room I needed but my periodontist did the graft just in case I changed my mind. He did mention that it would last for about 6 months. That would give me plenty of time to make a decision.

emmazzy

#3 Post by emmazzy »

was it painful?

vlamb13

#4 Post by vlamb13 »

I will be honest, 3 extractions plus grafting was not comfortable. My periodontist made me comfortable, I had good after surgery meds and used ibuprofen a few days later. I had my surgery the day before Thanksgiving, and after my surgery went and had my brackets placed. There was a lot that happened to make it uncomfortable but it was very tolerable.

bellakai

#5 Post by bellakai »

Hi, I've had this done. They used a material that isn't from cadevers. I think it's called perioderm. The bone grafting was done at the same time he placed the implant. The healing process was sort of painful because there were stitches there. For about a year, I could definitely tell when I lifted up my lip to look at the gum that there was a difference in color on the gums (the grafted part was a darker color than my natural gums). But I think over time, it blends and becomes the same color because now, you can't tell I ever had any grafting done there at all. I hope this is helpful!